the last ultrasound i had done my baby boy weighed 6 lbs 12 ozs. so far that was about 2 weeks ago. im 39 weeks and having my labor induced this upcoming week how much do you think he will weigh by the time of his birth?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:55 PM on May. 29, 2010 in Pregnancy

• probably close to 8 or a little over 8
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:58 PM on May. 29, 2010

• Those are so questionable. lol They are really a best guess and are more often than not, wrong.
    But, it they were right... babies gain weight very rapidly during this last month. I'm going to guess just under 8 pounds.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 8:59 PM on May. 29, 2010

• An ultrasound weight estimate can be off by 2 lbs, so no one can even guess on this one.
    Anonymous

• At the average half-pound/week that would mean one full pound (ish) in 2 weeks.

(But really, doesn't matter-- induction means there is a complication, baby is safer on the outside than in. So whatever the size of the baby, we can assume it's for an urgent medical reason, so the baby's weight will just have to do.)
    ;-)

Good luck!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 9:10 PM on May. 29, 2010

• It is an estimate either way. Two weeks before my DD was born I had an ultrasound bc big babies run in the family-they said she was over 8 lbs already so she would be about 9 lbs or so when born. Well two weeks later she was born and was only 7 lbs 6 oz--so it is only a guess.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 9:15 PM on May. 29, 2010

• between 5 and 10 lbs. you can't really say your baby weighed that amt because it's just a guess.
    Anonymous

• Assuming the ultrasound measurement was correct, he'll be about 8 lbs, give or take a few ounces. But as PPs have said, ultrasound estimates are very often wrong; I had an ultrasound at 38 weeks with my first that said he was 9 lbs, and I had him a week later at 8 lbs 8 oz, which means he was only about 8 lbs when they did the ultrasound.

The baby will be as big as he'll be. There's really no telling, short of weighing him after you give birth.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:27 PM on May. 29, 2010

• They ladies are right. Its a pound every 2 weeks.So 7.12. BUT, the ultrasounds can be very off. I had an ultrasound at 36 weeks and they said my son was already 8lb 11oz (and with the pound in 2 week rule that woulda meant he should be 10lb 11oz at birth.) He was born at 39 weeks. (and according to the 8lb 11oz at 36 weeks plus the pound in 2 week rule he shoulda gained a pound and a half from 36 to 39 weeks putting him at 10lb 3 oz at 39 weeks.) He was 8lb 8oz born at 39 weeks. The ultrasound was off by over 2lb. I wouldnt take what it says to heart. I have alot of friends that were told thier kids were going to be big and they werent.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 9:32 PM on May. 29, 2010

• It is a complete estimate. At 37 weeks I was told my son was already over 8 lbs and would be well over 9 lbs at birth and he was born 12 days later and was ONLY 7 lbs 1 oz. I hope the induction is from a true medical necessity and not because of his supposed size though.
    Anonymous

• I have the best way to know how it is for me. I had an ultrasound the very night I went into labor to check my son's size as I was measuring 4 weeks too big...I was 36 weeks. The tech got an estimate of 8lbs 5 oz and told me it can be off by a pound either way...I got home from the ultrasound and my water broke. He was born 12 hours after his ultrasound and weighed 7lbs 5 oz. I have been told by 2 midwives and 3 different OB's in the last week the baby gains a half a pound to a pound a week. It can vary. So I would say 8lbs at the least, but who knows.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 9:41 PM on May. 29, 2010