High blood pressure and pregnancy...good or bad idea?

Since I had my last child in August last year I develop toxemia right after. I have struggle with it up to about three months ago. Now that it is under control I can start a more intense plan to lose weight also. We now have 3 girls and wanted to try again for a boy in 3 years (with help from in vitro sex selection). I do also have weaker kidneys due to the prolong high blood pressure (the hospital where we live did not treat it properly and in time). So I am wondering should we go ahead and try when that time comes or just let it be which is what my family is telling me. But my doctors (ob/gyn and primary care) said it would be okay if it is just one last time as long as I have the support system I need and stay with them.

Brickhouse95

Asked by Brickhouse95 at 9:26 PM on May. 29, 2010 in Health

• I had hypertension when I unexpectedly got pregnant after 12 years of marriage... long story, but the gist is that I had IF for 7 years, went on Clomid, got pregnant, lost our dd at 36 weeks, adopted our middle dd from China 4 years later, then found out that I was somehow pregnant 8 months after coming home...
    I was in and out of the hospital and on complete bed rest and meds for 6 months of my pregnancy.
    If the doctors say it's okay and you will be watched closely- go for it! Although, I have to say, that my tubes are tied now...no more pregnancies for me!
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 9:31 PM on May. 29, 2010

• In my opinion: you should make the decision after losing the weight, keeping your blood pressure and kidney function within normal limits for a period time (like 6 months or so). You want to be in the best shape possible to sustain another pregnancy that will be healthy enough to prevent any long term repercussions....thinking of the new baby and your existing family.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 9:57 PM on May. 29, 2010

• I have lowered kidney function due to some medication I was on a couple of years ago. I asked my nephrologist before I got pregnant (he said it would be okay) and he's been keeping an eye on my pregnancy throughout. If your drs say it's okay, you may need a little extra watching during pregnancy, but if it's what you and your husband want, I would go ahead with it. (I'm 33 weeks) I am getting my tubes tied after this one though!

Answer by missanc at 10:39 PM on May. 29, 2010