Why are we wasted all this energy opposing gay soldiers, while the Gulf of Mexico turns into sludge and two wars rage on abroad? What were we thinking?

More than 25 countries specifically allow gays and lesbians to serve in the military. Many of them the US serves beside.

AngiDas

Asked by AngiDas at 10:08 PM on May. 29, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• DADT policy is not opposing gays in the military. It is simply a policy saying don't go around telling everyone. If they were to lift the DADT policy, do you realize the hate crimes that would be committed? They would have to build special barracks, just for gay/bisexuals. They would have to segregate most, due to the crimes and racism that would occur. My husband serves in the Army. He is a NCO, and he also agrees with me. It is for protection
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 10:12 PM on May. 29, 2010

• Ask Obama. Didn't he promise to recind DADT and bring the troops home?
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 10:18 PM on May. 29, 2010

Ask all the republicans who voted AGAINST it...Obama doesn't get to vote...

O and BTW, WHY are the republicans NOT listening to the American people?? 80% think DADT SHOULD be repealed..so WHY are they IGNORING the people???

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:49 PM on May. 29, 2010

• Ask all the republicans who voted AGAINST it...Obama doesn't get to vote...

Wrong, it's called an executive order.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:00 PM on May. 29, 2010

• Sweet ~ What poll did you get the number from? AND WHO controls the House AND the Senate??? I DO believe its the Dems. PRETTY sure it was filibuster proof till a few months ago....Repubs could do NOTHING. Come on......put blame where it GOES...

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 11:02 PM on May. 29, 2010

• "DADT policy is not opposing gays in the military. It is simply a policy saying don't go around telling everyone. If they were to lift the DADT policy, do you realize the hate crimes that would be committed? They would have to build special barracks, just for gay/bisexuals. They would have to segregate most, due to the crimes and racism that would occur. My husband serves in the Army. He is a NCO, and he also agrees with me. It is for protection "

Exactly.
    TBandNCmommy

Answer by TBandNCmommy at 11:30 PM on May. 29, 2010

• DADT policy is not opposing gays in the military. It is simply a policy saying don't go around telling everyone. If they were to lift the DADT policy, do you realize the hate crimes that would be committed? They would have to build special barracks, just for gay/bisexuals. They would have to segregate most, due to the crimes and racism that would occur. My husband serves in the Army. He is a NCO, and he also agrees with me. It is for protection "

Totally agree.
    ArmyWifeMomof3

Answer by ArmyWifeMomof3 at 11:37 PM on May. 29, 2010

Please... I'd love to see you go for a day or a week without EVER mentioning your sexuality. Think that you do? I doubt it. Any time you mention your husband, your marriage, going out with your husband, missing him, spending time with him, etc, you are telling people LOUD AND CLEAR that you are hetero. Now think about that--DADT is not just about them not going "Hey, btw, I'm gay". It's about hiding everything about their lives, just in case someone finds out and decides to "out" them
    Cassidhes_Mom

Answer by Cassidhes_Mom at 12:13 AM on May. 30, 2010

• (cont from above)

I'm a Navy wife. Most of the sailors that I know and have talked to don't really give a shit. But I'm in a special position, because I am ombudsman at my husband's command. I am support for the family when a service member is deployed/IA. It gives the service member peace of mind to know that there's someone there to help his/her family and it gives the spouse left behind a way to find answers when things come up. If there are any GLBT people at my husband's command, I CANNOT help them. They can't even talk to me. So their families have no support and they do NOT get that peace of mind before they head out to defend our country. How is it right that they are doing the same job without even close to the same support as a hetero service member?

As for the homophobes who would attack them? They do not DESERVE to wear the uniform. Period. And I have to tell them: You're already serving with gays. Deal. Grow up
    Cassidhes_Mom

Answer by Cassidhes_Mom at 12:18 AM on May. 30, 2010

• My Air Force hubby and his troops don't give a shit about others sexuality. Other family members of mine are two marines and one navy and 2 army and NONE of them give damn about it either. To the person who said there will be a problem with hate crimes then the military CAN and WILL punish the offenders even more harsh than any civilian court.  News flash there are thousands of homosexuals already serving but now they don't have to be afraid to live their life.  

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 12:50 AM on May. 30, 2010