Almost 9 month baby girl, no nap and will sleep for only 4 hours at night

what should I do to get her to sleep? My dd will take 1 nap in the day and it will be anywhere from 10-30 mins, and then stay up the rest of the day, then I will put her to sleep at 9.30pm then she will sleep until 2 or 3 am and wont want to go back to sleep. What should I do? I give her baby cereal before she goes to sleep, to try to keep her 'full' so she will sleep longer but it hasn't worked. I'm worried about her not sleeping, and its hard with my dh going to med school and me working full time as a nurse...please help

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:10 PM on May. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Also, babies can only handle a certain amount of time awake before they *need* to go back to sleep. Around 9 months, it's probably about 3-4 hours. Start watching her for sleepy cues, such as yawning, slower movements, etc. As soon as she starts slowing down, put her down for a nap (drowsy but awake so she can learn to self-soothe). Once she starts rubbing her eyes or fussing, she's overtired and it's going to be much harder to get her to sleep.

Do a google search on infant sleep habits, and you'll get a ton of results. The 2 books that helped me were "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" and "No Cry Sleep Solution." I read a few others as well. I don't follow their "advice" or "Plans" to the letter. I picked out things that worked for us and our babies and then it was trial and error until we got a good system down.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 12:02 AM on May. 30, 2010

• We know baby cereal doesn't help babies sleep. It does cause constipation and digestive problems. These may be keeping your baby awake. It would be a good first thing to eliminate. Babies don't need cereal at all.

If that didn't work, I would take my baby to the ER of a children's hospital. Your baby may have breathing or other problems that are causing sleeping problems.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:20 PM on May. 29, 2010

• Well from 4 months on your baby will definitely have times where teething effects them the most. This can cause sleepless nights, short naps and crankiness! I wouldn't rule out teething that's for sure :)
    Sometimes when children are overly tired they don't sleep well either....
    Make sure you have a bedtime routine like dinner, bath then a little snuggle time and then bed.
    Do things to wear her out as well such as tummy time, tickle time and stretching her arms and legs, as well as back rubs....those things always took a bit of energy out of my kids and they'd be ready for bed! Make sure the temp in her room or wherever she sleeps is cool....babies always sleep better in a cool room, covered up rather than a warm room with nothing on them!

I hope things work out for you guys! Congrats on med school for DH!!! xoxox
    Anonymous

• My daughter is also 9 months. We have a bedtime routine which has been very helpful: Change diaper, put on Pjs, brush teeth, read 2 books, turn on night light, music, and fan, and finally, a 6 oz bottle of milk. Ta da! Asleep for 12 hours. The music has been a key component in getting her to sleep from the beginning. We use "Rainforest Music" every night. It has also helped my friend with her infant who wasn't sleeping well.
    Rain77

Answer by Rain77 at 11:33 PM on May. 29, 2010

• Have you tried co-sleeping? Sometimes that helps. I know it's not the best alternative, but it's all i've got.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 11:37 PM on May. 29, 2010

• yes my dd sleeps with us bc she has been waking up so much and its hard for me to get up and walk to her room everytime
    Anonymous

• When I was researching sleep training methods when my 3 year old was a baby, I came across a very wise and true statement: sleep begets sleep. Basically, once your baby is overtired it's going to be more difficult for her to sleep. There are tons of books out there regarding infant sleep patterns, and I believe there is a sleep group on here as well. Has this been going on for some time or has it just started? I would start working on a bed time routine, a nap routine, and an earlier bed time. When my son was 9 months old, he was going to bed at 7 pm and sleeping until 6:00 am. Also, Gaill is right, cereal does not keep a belly full enough to guarantee longer sleep. Your baby needs to be getting at least 24 oz of breast milk or formula in a 24 hour period, and if she gets most of that during the day, she'll sleep better at night. ...cont
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 11:59 PM on May. 29, 2010