what is RH negative???

the last time i was pregnant, i had a molar pregnancy but they told me that the next time i got pregnant to let the doctor know that i am RH negative... it seemed really important and i am afraid i need to get something done about it soon.

kalimom95

Asked by kalimom95 at 11:47 PM on May. 29, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Its no big deal!
    You have a NEGATIVE blood type & during the pregnancy you will need to get a shot. It keeps your body from trying to... "abort or attack" the baby if its blood type is positive.
    Back in the day- my grams was rh- and my unlce was positive & ended up needing a blood transfusion bc they didnt have the RHOGAM shot back then.
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 11:51 PM on May. 29, 2010

• stop worrying it just means that you have a negative blood type. I am o negative and my DH is B positive, therefore I have the RH factor in pregnancy. This basically means that as an RH negative, you have no antibodies in your blood. If your baby inherits the dad's blood type (positive) and the baby's blood mixes into your when you give birth, then your body starts fighting off future babies as if they are infections. This used to call still births until they came out with the Rho Gham shot wich basically prevents this from happening. You get it once at 28 weeks and then again after the baby is born if they discover the baby has a positive blood type. Both of my kids are happy and healthy. No worries
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 11:51 PM on May. 29, 2010

• If you have been pregnant once than they should have have you a shot in the hip to prevent you body from forming antibodies that would fight off the next pregancy.
    Anonymous

• Rh stands for Rhesus (like the monkey) and is another kind of blood factor like the A-B-O system. Most people, about 85%, are Rh positive. There is an Rh incompatibility if an Rh negative mother has a Rh positive baby. That can only happen if the father is Rh positive.

With the first baby the mother develops antibodies. These will cross into the baby's blood and the baby will probably live but will need it's blood taken out and replaced, an exchange transfusion. By the third baby the mother will have so many antibodies she will miscarry, the baby will be born stillborn, or the baby will die soon after birth.

Then RhoGam was invented. It is Rh antibodies. Injecting them into the mother tricks the mother's body and then she doesn't make the antibodies. It's a passive immunization, a blood product.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:20 AM on May. 30, 2010

• It used to be mothers just got the shot after birth but now you get it during pregnancy, after procedures like amniocentesis, after miscarriage, and other times. The mother's blood is tested for type and to see if she already has antibodies. The baby's blood is tested for type. There is a crossmatch done before the RhoGam is given.

Before the 70s Catholic women were really against birth control. Before RhoGam some women would keep having babies every 10 months that die right after birth because of Rh incomatibility. If their husbands were homozygous Rh positive all their babies would be Rh positive and die. Can you imagine having 10 or more babies die. One of my instructors when I was in medical lab technology training had this problem. She met the inventor of RhoGam, he was her hero. He saved other women from her fate.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:33 AM on May. 30, 2010

• It is possible to have an A-B-O incompatibility with your baby, it's rare. You can have antibodies to your baby's blood type. Usually your blood and the baby's blood don't mix enough for this to be a problem but sometimes it can. Then the baby will be jaundiced, have anemia, and may need an exchange transfusion with fresh blood.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:41 AM on May. 30, 2010

• there is a ton of good info already posted, but i just wanted to again reassure you that it is not a big deal these days. in a subsequent pregnancy, they automatically type your blood and they will know, and you will be given the RhoGam shot. i recieved it during pregnancy w my first, then again after birth bc my daughter is rh+. i have recieved it again this pregnancy, and we will see how it goes after this baby is born, since we obviously dont know his blood type yet.
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 1:04 AM on May. 30, 2010

• I'm here for reassurance too. I'm rh- and I've had three healthy babies. I had the rhogam shot at 28w with all three of them, it's no big deal, just a little shot in the hip/butt area. I also had to have another "booster" shot at 40w (I went over with all three babies), and another after they were born.

RH incompatibility used to be very serious, and it still can be, but as long as your Dr knows at the beginning of your pregnancy that you are rh-, they can be prepared for it. If you have complications like bleeding or have to have an amnio, you will likely have to get the shot then as well as the usual 28w one.

But there is nothing you need to be doing now about it, just make sure that you tell your Dr when you do see him/her for your first visit. That is something they do test for though when they draw all the blood at your first visit.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 2:40 AM on May. 30, 2010

• It means you have a negative blood type and if your baby is positive you could have issues with any following pregnancies in the rare case that the blood mixes enough during delivery or trauma during pregnancy. I personally refuse the Rhogam during pregnancy for medical reasons and you should do a little research before blindly getting it. There are side effects and very little reason to get it while pregnant. If something were to happen that puts you at risk to have your blood mix then as long as you get the shot within 72 hours you are still protected. I also know that my DH is negative to so there is no way we could make a positive baby which is when it is a problem. You shouldn't have to tell the doctor though since they should be checking your blood type when they do the initial blood work up and it isn't a big deal until later in the pregnancy or after the baby is born.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:38 AM on May. 30, 2010

• I was RH negative too. I am still in pain from the shot!!! I had no issues with my first 3 kids, but with this last one I still have so much pain where I got the shot. The baby is 14 wks old, grrr aggrivating LoL!!
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 6:59 PM on May. 30, 2010