How to keep my toddler from screeching?

He loves his sister who is 12, and if she's gone he is just unhappy as all get out. But when she is home with him, he screeches at her and hits her and pinches her, but then when he gets in trouble for it, he cries for her. What is this childs malfunction? He is 2 years old, and while normally I would chalk it up to terrible twos, its been going on since before he turned two!!

asalynsedai

Asked by asalynsedai at 2:12 AM on May. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• well, i see no one else has answered, may i ask how he is punished for hitting and pinching? and the screeching? i have to say, after i tried everything else, (and please dont take this to the extreme here, as i dont mean it like that) but when my son would pull my hair, i pulled his back. when he pinched me, i pinched him back, etc. and he stopped it, just like that. at that age its hard sometimes to explain things with words, it can take action, and every kid is different. it may or may not work for you, but its an idea. some may bash me for this, but i dont care!
    jeanniegirl82

Answer by jeanniegirl82 at 2:53 AM on May. 30, 2010

• I have to disagree with jeanniegirl82 I would not "do it back" My son is like that too, he also screeches and pulles hair, pinches and so on. I did try to "do it back" my Mom thought it may work and it did not for my little guy it made it worse! I just had to wait it out. Try to very calm tell him NO and Ouch make him sit in the other room and so on but soon he will understand it hurts! And then he will stop my son is almost never doing it now (thank God LOL) and it is rough but really looking back I think that he did not get that it really is painful I think he thought he was playing and just trying to with all his might connect to us. Good Luck!

Sarahedger

Answer by Sarahedger at 7:46 AM on May. 30, 2010