Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

help me with this

is there any thing i can do for my sister. shes 13 never been in school she lives with my mom and dad there mean to her treat her bad, i want to take her in and put her in school try to give her a better life is there anything i can do.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 4:24 AM on May. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

Answers (7)
  • call CPS and then they will take her, they will be in contact with you as long as you make them know you are her older sister and then you can take her out if you are fit to do so...and their requrements for a sibling to take a sibling out of the temp group home they put teens in is not that high a standard, just a couch is fine

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:27 AM on May. 30, 2010

  • Call CPS. If she's not in school and she's not homeschooled you're getting her.

    Answer by pipermomofash at 4:38 AM on May. 30, 2010

  • Thats what im scared of cps takin her away and not giving her to me.


    Answer by Anonymous at 4:53 AM on May. 30, 2010

  • CPS will always place a child with a family member if there is one that is able and willing to take good care of her. You may have to do check-in for awhile were the case worker can just stop by to make sure all is clear. One thing I do advise is that you clearly (with a level head) sit down and meditate on this. I am certain this will cause a huge break in your family, your parents may not have anything to do with you, perhaps your sister will not want to leave. There are lots of ramifications when taking action in cases like this. However, that said you as an older sister must take care that she is not in harms. There is no easy path for you it sounds but I would do real soul searching 1st.

    Good Luck


    Answer by Sarahedger at 6:19 AM on May. 30, 2010

  • Ask your parents if she can come live with you. They might just say yes. Or talk to a lawyer see if there is an age when a child in your state can choose where she lives. If she is old enough, just get your parents to let your sister to come visit you. Then just never send her back. I know in some states 16 is that age.

    Answer by louise2 at 7:27 AM on May. 30, 2010

  • If you have a safe home environment CPS will allow the child to stay with you because Foster Care is expensive and they would rather make the situation less stressful for the child. I'd report them

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:08 AM on May. 30, 2010

  • My dh's sister was in foster care for two months while cps did a home study and took their own sweet time to get her here. Perhaps if you contact them (our situation was different) perhaps it will go faster. Do your parents home school her?

    Answer by Austinsmom35 at 9:57 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.