cloth diapering?

my ds is 13 months but I'd like to try cloth diapering, I am so confused! can anyone recommend a good brand? how do I clean them? I mean I can't use bleach on them can I? any info at all would be great!

Bjoycassell

Asked by Bjoycassell at 6:52 AM on May. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• If you do not have a washer and dryer. It will be hard to do cloth diapers. It (cloth diapers) will make your Utilitie bills go up too.

Answer by louise2 at 7:17 AM on May. 30, 2010

• I have a washer, i just heard that you can't use bleach on cloth diapers so i was wondering if their was a certain laundry soap that would work best. I'm not to worried about doing extra laundry and making my utilities go up, I already do several loads a day as it is : )
    Bjoycassell

Answer by Bjoycassell at 7:23 AM on May. 30, 2010

• You can use bleach but you have to wash them at least 2 more times to make sure there is none left in the diapers. I make my own laundry detergent but I have heard of people using all free and clear for their diaps. Basically all you have to do is dump the poop. I would join a cloth diaper group on here the one I am on has a post it about how to clean diapers. Brand wise it's all dependent on which ones you like. I would by one of a couple different kinds just to see what you like. I use fitted diaper with a cover and a lot of people that I know have used pocket diapers which fit from birth to potty training. Oh and I really haven't seen a change in my utility bill and it's really not that hard seeing as you are actually flush poop before you throw away a disposable anyways. If you have any questions you can feel free to message me.
    tanya_marieh

Answer by tanya_marieh at 7:37 AM on May. 30, 2010

• Thank you Tanya!
    Bjoycassell

Answer by Bjoycassell at 7:39 AM on May. 30, 2010

• You're welcome.
    tanya_marieh

Answer by tanya_marieh at 7:50 AM on May. 30, 2010

• You can use bleach but you don't need too. My sister does it she is all green no washer or anything and does it by gloved hand. She does one small bucket load a day and line drys them. She uses Zote soap for the 1st bucket of water and then just borax for the 2nd bucket of water. I watched her do it one day I hope this helps! And the diapers come out white as can be and very little scrubing the trick is to get them soaking right away.
    Sarahedger

Answer by Sarahedger at 8:23 AM on May. 30, 2010

• Check out the site www.diaperpincom for reviews and tips on how to wash. We cloth diapered and I loved just a simple prefold in a tight fitting cover. Which one works best for you is really hard to say since all kids are built differently. What worked for my first did not work well for my second. I also loved using homemade fitted diapers that I put wool covers over.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:20 AM on May. 30, 2010

• www.diaperjungle.com and www.clothdiaperblog.com are good places to find information. Depending on the type of washer and dryer you have can change how you wash you diapers. I have a front loader. I do one speed cycle on heavy soil and cold water with 3 squirts of Bac-out. Then I do a permanent press wash on hot, extra rinse, and a tiny bit of soap. I don't really mind the stains (which really most of them come out) because they're diapers that are going to get peed and pooped on again anyway. At first I would lay them out in the sun and that does a really good job of getting the stains out, but I don't really do that anymore. I wash every other day. We use prefolds with Thirsties covers around the house. I have pocket diapers we use when out and about. Fuzzi Bunz are probably my favorite of the pockets we have.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:23 AM on May. 30, 2010