Is it normal for a child to not want to play with video games?

A child got the New Nintendo DS XL (portable video game) for his birthday and apparently he doesn't seem interest at all in playing with the video game. Parents are planning to return the gift.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:37 AM on May. 30, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Less money they have to spend on the kid. Those games are not cheap to buy. The parents should be glad. But if the kid asks later for one, the parents should say no, we bought you one and you did not want it. Make the kid earn the next one.

Answer by louise2 at 7:42 AM on May. 30, 2010

• Kids have different preferences. Not every child is going to like video games just like not every child is going to want to play sports.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 7:42 AM on May. 30, 2010

• Cool, I have that game also.
    Sure why not, my daughter didn't start to get into video games until last year at camp. I had purchased video type games in the past when she was younger and never got into it. But, because the children on the school bus on her way to camp played with it, she did also.

We were not video family. Then she wanted the DS and for her birthday my parents purchased one for her. I got the DSI xl for Mother's day and she plays with it all the time.

Maybe you should ask your child what type of game he would like? Plus there is no such thing as normal when it comes to children. They are all different. As we are as adults.
    happynewyorker

Answer by happynewyorker at 7:46 AM on May. 30, 2010

• Posters: Thank you for all your input. OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:49 AM on May. 30, 2010

• Our son whose 9 has a Nintendo DS. He bought it with the money he has earned and money he got via birthdays, Christmas, etc. Our daughter who is 10 months younger has had the same opportunity to buy a DS with the money she's earn and given to her. She however has NOT interest in buying one. She will play with her brothers a handful of times, but she'll tell you I'm really not into that. Everyone has different taste, style etc. Not interested in video games is perfectly normal. I wasn't a gamer myself.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 8:42 AM on May. 30, 2010

• I see nothing wrong with it. We don't even own a game system.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:52 AM on May. 30, 2010

• BE GLAD! My son doesn't want to put my iphone down (he plays games/apps on it). He's not like my younger two, they live to be outside and explore.
    mom23boys679

Answer by mom23boys679 at 9:06 AM on May. 30, 2010

• Perfectly normal. Not everyone is interested in video games.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 9:20 AM on May. 30, 2010

• I would say its quite normal.

My kids dont have video games nor ask about them.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 9:35 AM on May. 30, 2010

• I don't know if it's typical or not, but I'd think that was great. In my opinion, kids play way too many video games these days.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:17 AM on May. 30, 2010