Please help

Good day to all, my three week old baby dont like to sleep at night on his bassinet, he would rather lay between me and my husban and then he sleeps for at least 4 hours before his next feeding, I dont feel safe putting him in my bed Im afraid my husband or I will roll over and hurt him. I've heard so many stories when babies sleep with the parents at such a young age. So please if you have any advise please help me..... Thanks moms.....

BurgFam

Asked by BurgFam at 7:44 AM on May. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Just keep putting him in his bassinet until he gets used to it. I had the same problem with my daughter and she did cry a few nights but then she got used to it.
    pipermomofash

Answer by pipermomofash at 7:51 AM on May. 30, 2010

• get one of those baby nest things that you can put in your bed so that you won't roll over on him.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3393694
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:54 AM on May. 30, 2010

• I promise that you will figure it out. We actually built a barrier with blankets around where our DD slept in our bed for 2 weeks. She slept at the top between the pillows and we had a barrier of blankets above, below and on her sides. The spot was about a foot wide. She slept great there and then she was finally used to her Moses basket and we transferred her there. Babies are meant to be close to Momma for a while. They spent 9 months there. I am by no means an advocate of co-sleeping but do what feels right for you, your baby and your SO.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:08 AM on May. 30, 2010

• I thought that same thing too...what if all the stories are true...but when I had my little guy the hospitol that I had him at actually put him in bed with me. They are a very advaced center! They told me that his body needed my warmth and he is still sleeping with us and he is two! I think that cosleeping is wonderful. I never planned to sleep with my child he however did plan to sleep with me...thats just how it worked! GL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:16 AM on May. 30, 2010

• Babies have slept with their mothers for all of human history. Many, many more babies die in cribs then die sleeping with their mothers in the US. Just like there are guidelines for safe sleeping for babies in cribs there are guidelines for safe sleeping with infants. Mothers with very young babies like yours should be breastfeeding. Nursing mothers and babies have a symbiotic relationship because of the breastfeeding hormones and pheromones. The have similar sleep patterns and mom is in a light sleep when it's time for the baby to wake and nurse.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:59 AM on May. 30, 2010

• My oldest daughter had this problem after she turned a month old. She liked falling asleep on me, but as soon as I put her in the bassinet, she would wake up and be quite upset. I got the idea of putting an article of clothing, like my jacket I always wore, at the time, next to her when I put her down, and she would fall right asleep. There are these little stuffed animal heads holding blankets that parents can sleep with for a couple of nights and then give to their children; I think they are meant for the same thing. It's a comfort thing.
    Always_Hopeful

Answer by Always_Hopeful at 10:13 AM on May. 30, 2010

• I held my dd on my chest for the 1st couple of months & slept w/ her that way. I used pillows to prop my arms up.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 10:24 AM on May. 30, 2010

• Just stick to the bassinet. I personally dont believe in cosleeping (yes people go ahead and bash me I dont care). You can try a swaddle. That defintiely helped my daughter. most likely he wants you close by and babies sense a lot through smell, so what you can do is swaddle him in one of your tshirts that you have worn. that way he gets the comfort and warmth as well as your scent, and in my opinion I agree with you that the bassinet is much safer. =)
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 1:36 PM on May. 30, 2010

• I'm not a co-sleeper either. and the only reason more babies die in cribs is because more babies sleep in cribs, it's a manipulated statistic. there were quite a few nights where i had to hold my dd to get her to sleep well, but eventually she got used to her bassinet and slept in it just fine. just keep trying. and swaddling in one of your t-shirts that you've worn for a few hours or use a recieving blanket as your pillow case for a night and use that. gl!
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:31 PM on May. 30, 2010

• "I'm not a co-sleeper either. and the only reason more babies die in cribs is because more babies sleep in cribs, it's a manipulated statistic."

Actually, no. When you look at SIDS rates for other countries where co=sleeping is the norm, they are lower. And that is with making correct adjustments for differences in population sizes...making it apples and apples.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:09 AM on May. 31, 2010