How do teachers deal with disruptive students in American Schools?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:11 AM on May. 30, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• As a former teacher, it has gotten harder and harder to deal with extremely dispruptive students. The students have all the rights. For the younger kids, I can only speak on how they are disciplined at their school as I did not teach little kids. Our kids have 5 minutes of their recess taken off and they have to walk around the gym. If they are asked to re-evaluate the choices/behavior they are choosing and asked if it is a good choice or bad choice. They supposedly have three chances.

I know when I was teaching the older grades, they were given options and chances. if the kids were really disruptive I would have them escorted to the office. From there I have no idea what their punishment was, as they never reported back to the teachers (one reason I don't teach there anymore)

My husband taught as some very tough schools. Students stabbing one another, throwing books at the teachers, (continued)
    ArmyWifeMomof3

Answer by ArmyWifeMomof3 at 8:23 AM on May. 30, 2010

• (con) and there was little discipline for those kids. They had food fights every day. The school would suspend the kids, but there was no one at home to watch them so they get into trouble there.

Sadly schools want to keep the kids in their school for so long so they can get funding from the gov. after a certain amount of time (usually after jan) they can start expelling kids. At least it was that way for the one my dh worked at and I know a couple I worked at were the same. I lucked out having good kids with parents who cared about them.
    ArmyWifeMomof3

Answer by ArmyWifeMomof3 at 8:26 AM on May. 30, 2010

• Sadly schools want to keep the kids in their school for so long so they can get funding from the gov.

True. Schools now are sending parents to jail for making their children skip school. Is not about "the children" is about the money.

Going back to the OP question. I would think that the kids get suspended.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:50 AM on May. 30, 2010

• In our school district, the students are first sent from the class to a "quiet room" to think about their actions for basically the rest of the day. If they continue, they are sent home for a day or more. That's about it. A very disruptive student may be threatened with expulsion, but that rarely ever gets followed through.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 8:56 AM on May. 30, 2010

• I took my daughter out of her public school because the teachers are too scared to say or do anything to these kids because the kids are violent and sometimes the parents are too.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 9:06 AM on May. 30, 2010

• because the kids are violent and sometimes the parents are too.

So if parents are violent there is no way the school can help the kids with this. Are these kids doom for the same "luck" as his parents?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:09 AM on May. 30, 2010

• So if parents are violent there is no way the school can help the kids with this. Are these kids doom for the same "luck" as his parents?

These days where everybody is ready to call a lawyer the second someone suggest their precious little snowflake was wrong? Yep.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:26 AM on May. 30, 2010

• his their* parents.

NP you're right!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:42 AM on May. 30, 2010

• seems most are insisting the kids be medicated!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 10:16 AM on May. 30, 2010

• Tell the parent to test them for ADHD!!!!    Sad, but true.  If they are not little robots, the teachers don't want them there.  It's wayyyyyy overdiagnosed!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on May. 30, 2010