I'm quitting Breastfeeding how long untill the pain goes away?

My son is 11 days till his first Birthday and has discovered then biting Mommys nipple hurts and he thinks that is just soooooooooo funny that he dose it again and again, he made me bleed so I've bought formula for the first time... that was kind of sad but he dosen't seem to miss the boob at all, I even offered him some just to help with my pain but he didn't want it he went for his milk cup. Anyways my Question is Should I pump some or not, what helps with the pain it's been 2 days how long untill I'm back to normal?

Heather10285

Asked by Heather10285 at 8:26 AM on May. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you stop nursing cold turkey you are opening yourself up to all kinds of problems, pain and infections. If you do not want to nurse i would pump and then lower the amount of pumping as if you were weaning him. Honestly if you just stop it could take weeks for the pain to go away and months for your milk to dry up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:32 AM on May. 30, 2010

• i say don't go to formula. go to cows milk consider its only 11days before his first birthday. no need to spend money on formula if you are going to switch to regular milk at a year. i presuming though. some people continue with formula after a year. i have no experience with this. i quit cold turkey at 4months and it was not painful so i have no idea. good luck
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 8:49 AM on May. 30, 2010

• There are other ways to teach him not to bite. That being said quitting cold turkey like that is NOT a good idea. You open yourself up to all kinds of infection issues etc. If you are set on not nursing anymore then get some cabbage leaves and put them in your bra to help with the swelling. DO NOT pump, but you can hand express a little in the shower to relieve some pressure.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:17 AM on May. 30, 2010

• I was in pain for about 24- 48 hours. when my breast got to full during that period they just started to leak ALOT. if the pain gets to bad just "milk" a little out with your hands to relieve some of the pressure. Hope this helps.
    ILoveConnor09

Answer by ILoveConnor09 at 9:18 AM on May. 30, 2010

• Your 11 day old baby laughed at hurting you? Give me a break. He's 11 days old not 11 yrs old. Your stress is probably coming through in the milk supply so he's getting more from the formula anyway. If you are not cleaning your nipples well enough he'll reject them too. Bind your breasts up with something tight (ace bandage, towel, etc) The pain will stop in a day or so
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on May. 30, 2010

• "Stopping breastfeeding abruptly, or "cold turkey," can be very distressing for both mother and baby and can cause plugged ducts, breast infection, or even a breast abscess. Hormone levels are also more likely to take a drastic plunge, causing mood swings, depression, etc. It's very rare that sudden weaning is truly necessary."

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/how_weaning_happens.html

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:32 AM on May. 30, 2010

• Anonymous user, read the question... my son is not 11 days old 11 day olds do not have teeth! My son is 50 weeks old or 11 months 2 weeks and 5 days old, witch means he is 11 days untill he turns one year old!!! I'm not stressed by any means and my nipples are very clean, Thanks! So to me you sound like a word I can not use on this site but I'm sure you can figure it out! To everyone else thanks for the advice.
    Heather10285

Answer by Heather10285 at 9:34 AM on May. 30, 2010

• As a few answers have said cold turkey is NOT good for either of you. What have you done to try and have baby stop biting? Stopping the biting is much easier then going cold turkey. If you think a nip is bad wait until clogged ducts and mastitis. Check out the breastfeeding moms group. They have a sticky about when babies attack (I do believe it is something along those line) that gives you all the info on stopping biting. Good Luck!

Anon 9:23am~ Her child is 11 days shy of 1 year old. While stress may cause a decrease in production the child will ALWAYS get more out of breastmilk then formula. Also NEVER clean your nipples, wipe them off with water or expressed milk and let air dry. Binding WILL cause mastitis and clogged ducts and should never be used as a way to stop milk production.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on May. 30, 2010

• Also it's not that it's 100% cold turkey since he was 4 months old he has been eating solids and eating them well he now eats a regular breakfast lunce and dinner with snacks in between and for the last month I've been giving him pumped milk in a cup amd only breast at night and early morning feeding and sometimes one during the day to make this step more calm for him. He is doing well with the sippy cups and using straws so a bottle will not be needed.
    About the infection thing? What kind and how do I prevent that? It's not that I'm a bad mom and just want to stop breastfeeding I love it and am very glad I was able to do it this long I will miss it, but the fact is he almost took half of my nipple off.
    Heather10285

Answer by Heather10285 at 9:42 AM on May. 30, 2010

• OK PEOPLE MY SON IS NOT 11 DAYS OLD!!!!!!!! One more time he has 11 days untill he is 1 YEAR OLD!!!!!!!!!!!
    Heather10285

Answer by Heather10285 at 9:56 AM on May. 30, 2010