Forward facing early?

I have a friend and I saw pictures of her son facing forward in his carseat but he wont be 1 til august, I feel like I should say something about this but I know it'll be taken the wrong way. Idk what to do...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on May. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• say something, send her one of the crash test videos that shows the difference of what happens in a crash when a kid is rear facing vs forward facing.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 10:14 AM on May. 30, 2010

• I should also mention that we work together and I don't want her to take offense and for things to be difficult at work. I know that a child's life is more important, but I just don't know how to approach the subject without sounding like a know it all.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on May. 30, 2010

• Unless she lives under a rock, I'm sure she's heard all about doing forward facing after a year. She probably has her own reasons for doing what she did. I'd leave it alone.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 10:17 AM on May. 30, 2010

• She's only 21 and a lot of people have misconceptions about forward facing and think that it's 20 lbs OR a year not AND a year. I'm not saying that her age makes her less intelligent because i had my son young, but she might not be informed. Her son is large for her age so she may not realize that the reason you have to wait is because their neck muscles aren't developed yet.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on May. 30, 2010

• He probably meets the weight requirements (20 lb) but the thing is that is is 20 lbs AND one year. My friend did the same thing and I told er she had to be at least one but she didn't listen. I hope that your friend is different though. She is best off getting a convertible car seat to keep her facing backwards
    alotta_fagina

Answer by alotta_fagina at 10:27 AM on May. 30, 2010

• Maybe you could mention something that is not completely directed at her. Wow, I just read this article that the American Academy of Pediatrics has changes the recommended minimum age for forward facing to 2 years instead of one year. I had no idea that so many kids have been internally decapitated by forward facing too early. Pretty scary huh?
    I posted this AAP info on facebook when it came out several months ago. I had several friends with kids just over a year old at the time, and a couple of them posted that they had recently put their one year olds forward facing, but turned them back around after hearing this new info.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:27 AM on May. 30, 2010

• Say something... forward facing to early can endanger her childs life. I would show her crash test footage and the American Academy of Pediatrics recommendation to rear face until atleast 2 years.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 10:27 AM on May. 30, 2010

• Maybe she asked her pediatrician and he recommended she go ahead and flip him around. Who knows. Not everyone (even medical staff) are on the same wave length as the rest of the world. It's best to have a chit chat with her though. This is really dangerous and can hurt her kid severely. Someone needs to put a reminder in her brain.
    MissMommyK

Answer by MissMommyK at 10:28 AM on May. 30, 2010

• If a pediatrician recommends forward facing a 9 or 10 month old he is in the WRONG line of work because he has no idea what he is talking about.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 10:29 AM on May. 30, 2010

• ILoveConnor09, that is simply not true.
    My son who is nearly two years older than yours (and named Connor too!) is still rearfacing. He's 39 inches tall, and 36lbs.
    Do some research, please. Your little guy should be in a rearfacing convertable seat. The Evenflo Maestro, Graco Myride and any seat by Sunshine Kids would easily fit him rearfacing.
    gypsysmiles

Answer by gypsysmiles at 10:50 AM on May. 30, 2010