Is soy really bad for you?

My 14mo dd does not like cow"s milk (any way shape or form, tried warm, mixed with BM, cold, alone, everything) and I've tried the enfamil next step formula, vanilla flavored, (even though she never even had formula ever) and she didnt like that either. I was thinking of trying a vanilla flavored soy milk the other day and my dh said no his sister says soy is bad for you..... is there any truth to this? I always thought soy was super good for you (especially women). Any experts on this matter? Anyone know of a good source of information about soy? I don't even know if my dd will like it, I just thought is was worth a try since I'm trying to wean her (her allergist strongly suggests I wean, due to her egg and peanut allergy, and her exzema)

marchma2b

Asked by marchma2b at 10:43 AM on May. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Uh yes... especially if you are giving it to her as a large source of nutition. http://www.optimumchoices.com/Soy.htm

Pretty crazy stuff. Stick to regular milk. She'll get used to it. Otherwise there are other kinds of milk when she grows into them, like nut milk and rice milk. :)

missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 10:47 AM on May. 30, 2010

• ok i don't want to go near nut milk because she has a peanut allergy and she will be tested for other nuts in october (im allergic to almonds) and I heard about rice milk, but I can't seem to find it anywhere... where can I find it???
    marchma2b

Answer by marchma2b at 10:52 AM on May. 30, 2010

• Kids don't need any milk so you don't need to worry about finding a substitute for cow's milk. If she doesn't eat 2 toddler servings of milk products (yogurt, ice cream, mac & cheese, ect) you should find foods she likes that have calcium, that are fortified with calcium, or give her calcium suppliment with vitamin D.

There are good things and bad things about soy. I used it on my kids cereal but I didn't give it to them to drink. I used cow's milk in cooking and they could eat 1 serving of milk products a day, all 3 are lactose intollerant. I gave them calcium fortified juice. That was before the AAP decided kids should only have 4 oz of juice a day.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:53 AM on May. 30, 2010

• You can find different kinds of "milks" in the health food sections of large grocery stores or in health food type grocery stores. These are NOT milk. It's ground and processed watered down whatever the main ingredient is (almond, rice, hemp, ect.). You can even make your own.

Kids, like everyone else, should drink only water. Start kids out early and that's what they expect to drink . Neat things to drink out of help. We live in the desert and I have a 20 mo grandson that I "feed and water".

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:01 AM on May. 30, 2010

• I agree with Gaiil..any type of milk is unnecessary apart from breast of course. I wouldn't try to find a substitute. Milk isn't a good source of calcium either - it does have a lot of calcium but as a result of its high protein content you won't really be benefitting from it. Too much protein leeches calcium from your bones.

Generally the biggest concern is that children need more fat - try feeding avocado mashed up maybe with some chives or plain if your child likes it. Oranges, figs and lots of other fruits are good sources of calcium if that is what you are worried about.

But my advice is to let go of milk....dairy isn't a natural food for humans..so it is totally unnecessary in the diet.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on May. 30, 2010

• My pediatrician tells everyone not to give kids soy because it causes infertility.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on May. 30, 2010

• Personally I think the people that tell you not to give your kids soy are nuts! Hello, what do you think is in cow's milk????? Do your own research but IMO so is just fine.
    Anonymous

• Honestly, I have researched it a lot because I am vegan (no dairy, no meat, no eggs) and depending on the origin of the study or organization, you are going to have different answers. Lots of studies saying soy is bad are funded by dairy companies. A whole lot of processed-anything is not good for you so the more processed the soy (like soy in snack foods), the worse it probably is for you. Tofu and soy sauce are more pure forms. We use almond milk in cereal and sometimes cooking but drink only water for hydration. Hemp milk is great but expensive. You should be able to find rice milk in the regular grocery- but not in the cold section. In Pubix ours is in the greenwise drink section- you may also find it with canned or powdered milks. In the health food store you can find it cold in a carton or in a sealed wax carton. Cow's milk has many of its own issues- including hormones and other-
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 12:28 AM on May. 31, 2010

• issues with production. Milk is not a necessary food. No other animal drinks another animals milk or drinks any milk at all past the nursing age. Even if you gave her NO MILKS OR MILK REPLACERS she could be perfectly healthy. But if she likes cereal or something- you can use a milk replacer for that. Calcium is best absorbed from green leafy vegetables (like brocolli and kale), not dairy. Giving her just water to drink is fine (or water and whatever else she likes on occasion). Good luck mama!
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 12:30 AM on May. 31, 2010

• DS likes rice milk. It's sweet. Cows milk is not necessary. It's a good source of fat and calories, but you can provide that in other foods.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 9:49 PM on May. 31, 2010