What should I do? (question about having traces of protein in urine early in pregnancy--Please help!)

Ok, I'm 13 weeks along and I had my urine test at the dr's office and the nurse said I have 1 of protein in my urine. This is my first pregnancy and I asked what it meant, and she said that I'm at risk of pre-eclampsia and I have to go on a low-sodium diet, BUT my blood pressure is only 90/50. The dr didn't say a word about it(I asked but he stayed quiet and said that my labs from 2 weeks prior came back fine...that was it!) and I'm wondering if the nurse is just trying to scare me or what, especially since I've read in 4 different pregnancy books and on webmd that early in pregnancy if my blood pressure is normal, then I'm not at risk for pre-eclampsia but rather that I might have a kidney infection. I honestly don't know what to do, because the only things I'm not allergic to, or can actually eat are now going to be restricted, and I think that by drinking lots of water can get rid of it. Opinions and/or help PLEASE!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on May. 30, 2010 in Pregnancy

• A level of one doesn't necessarily mean anything which is probably why the doctor didn't seem worried. They need to keep an eye on it because typically you should measure 0. But you can measure one and be fine. It could just be from something you ate recently. I had a a level 1 protein reading and it was preeclampsia, but I also had high blood pressure. 13 weeks would be very early for PE. If I were you I would call the doctor and tell him what the nurse said and get some clarification. Flat out ask him if you should be restricting your diet. As long as your BP is low (90/50 is really low) I doubt you have anythingto worry about, but you should defiantly get some reassurance from the doctor.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 11:42 AM on May. 30, 2010

• Well, the protein in your urine is a sign of gestational diabetes which I had with both children. I would watch your sugar intake and stay away from anything with real sugar in it...by that I mean cakes, brownies, sweet tea.

I am TTC with my 3rd and I have already cut sugar out of my diet.

Things like fruit have complex sugar in them which is ok for your body as long as you dont eat sweet fruit all day long.

Dont get too worried yet. You will go for a glucose tolerance test soon, Dr knows this and is probably going to wait for those tests before sending you for diet modification classes.

I dont know that much about preeclampsia.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on May. 30, 2010

• I don't have gestational diabetes...I was just tested 2 weeks ago(the labs he was going over), and everything came back perfect. If I had glucose in my urine, then I would be at risk for GD, but I had protein.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on May. 30, 2010

• i had severe pre e with my first. most womens protien amount in urine goes up slightly in pregnancy. however your bp is low now doesnt mean it will stay that way. learn the sighns and symtoms of preeclampsia. also just cause you dipped a 1 in the doctors office doesnt mean anything. just means at the particular moment your kidneys were working that great. you need to demand a 24 hour protien panel. it will give you and your doctor a better look at what is really going on. because im high risk of developing it again, i do the 24 hr test oncea month. it will show a trend if i start to develope pre e again. message me if you have any more questions. but i would take this seriously, pre e is a leading cause of both maternal and fetal deaths in the worlds.
    KJ_on

Answer by KJ_on at 12:10 PM on May. 30, 2010

• * correction at that moment your kidneys werent working that great
    KJ_on

Answer by KJ_on at 12:11 PM on May. 30, 2010

• I'm 33 weeks pregnant and have always had a trace of protein in my urine since the beginning of this pregnancy and throughout my last one. For some people, it's "normal" If it goes higher, they will have you do a 24 hour urine collection (I've done 2) which again isn't any big deal. I didn't develop preeclampsia with my last pregnancy and haven't with this one either. I'm surprised they are already suggesting a low sodium diet - from personal experience, I think that's premature. Have you thought about getting a 2nd opinion from another dr (even within the same practice?) I wouldn't worry about it much unless your blood pressure increases.

Answer by missanc at 12:28 PM on May. 30, 2010