how organized are you?

and have you always been organized? any tips?? anything you do different now that you have children? how do you keep organized with children? have you ever had choas and just couldn't get organized and then got yourself back? thanks

lambdarose

Asked by lambdarose at 11:29 AM on May. 30, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Nope I am not. When I had kids I picked up once a day. I still have kids there just in high school and they make bigger messes now. So I have to pick up all the time. Let me tell you it really doesn't work.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 11:30 AM on May. 30, 2010

• im a kind of person who always organizes stuff the first time (like when stalking up my pantry, closet, drawers etc) , but while working in the kitchen or getting ready to go somewhere or whatever... in a hurry i dont put things back where i picked them up from, hence making a mess(im always doing things in a hurry).. :P but then after a couple of days(or even next day) i re-organize them again.. lol, i know thats a little weird !
    cookie269

Answer by cookie269 at 11:33 AM on May. 30, 2010

• Yes... I would think I am above average on the organizational scale.  Once I became a mom it was a necessity.  Basically the two main things I have to stress are

1) purge... if you dont use it, dont keep it.  clothes, toys, anything and everything.  if your not sure than put it in a black garbage bag in the garage for one month.  If you dont go get it and use it... it is gone.

2) everything must have a place. When you buy somethig find a home for it that day.  Dont move stuff from place to place it MUST have a home.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on May. 30, 2010

• I just stay on top of it, and do a little bit often. In the past, I'd let things go, only to be left with so much to do all at once. Now that I've had a child, I don't have the time to do a ton at once, but I do have time to do a little bit often,and that actually works better. I'm never overwhelmed. Even if it's only 5 minutes every hour some days, it's enough to maintain organization.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:37 AM on May. 30, 2010

• Im not real organized, but for the most part, I keep things clean
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 11:38 AM on May. 30, 2010

• a couple other things that help me...

3) every body in the family has a color. My calendar is color coded. Each activity is highlighted in the corresponding color, family activities in yellow.

4) each child has a hook right by the gargae enterance to the house.... all shoes, coats, school bags, etc gets put there before coming in the house. 

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:39 AM on May. 30, 2010

• Other things that MUST have a place.... mail, bills, home work, sports uniforms (I do not keep these in the kids rooms), Sports equipment (I keep these in the garage right by the door so they get put a way asap after a game), tv remotes, keys, purse, etc. I find that life is much smoother if these things have a very special place and EVERYone in the family knows where it is.

Some of my overly organized issues are alphabetical spices, all labels in the pantry MUST face forward. My pantry has specific places for specific items. Baking items together, cereals on the bottom so kids can reach, school snacks in one area, after school snacks in another....etc... there im a bit overly organized.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on May. 30, 2010

• anon 11:43 ... a bit overly organized ??? lolxx !! well jokes apart i think thats neat. i wish i could be like that ! :)
    cookie269

Answer by cookie269 at 11:45 AM on May. 30, 2010

• Cookie269......... my bil was a grocery store manager..... he helped me when I moved in and it worked so well I kept it up.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on May. 30, 2010

• I am very organized, but it's getting more difficult with my daughter always ripping everything out of all the drawers and the pantry.....I feel like I have to reorganize our dressers every day. Other than that, it's really not hard to stay organized with only one child that I am with every waking moment....she can't do much without me noticing within like a minute.....little thing can destroy a lot in a minute though! lol
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:07 PM on May. 30, 2010