Do you bribe your kids...

...in exchange for good behavior? What do you offer in exchange? Do you think it's a productive and fair tool when raising children?

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 11:41 AM on May. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• Not for good behavior... that is what they are supposed to do.

I did however bribe my almost 3 yr old son to go pee pee in the potty. That worked well. It took him 2 days to potty train and no accidents.

I did also bribe my 15 yr old to try out for the school play....... but she didnt take the bribe. LOL... guess she really didnt want to try out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on May. 30, 2010

• Never. I think it sends the wrong message.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 11:42 AM on May. 30, 2010

• Nope, I tell them what I expect from them...and I expect that they respect me and do what I ask.

I am not begging my kids to behave, I require them to behave.

I think bribery is weak.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on May. 30, 2010

• you never do that because it encourages bad behavior
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 11:43 AM on May. 30, 2010

• The only time that my mom ever "bribed" me was when I'd have to get a shot. I'd be scared to death, and she'd tell me that afterwards I could pick out a toy. I don't really consider that bribery though...it was just something that would get me through the fear of the doctor...something to look forward to afterwards. I'll probably do the same thing with my son when he's older. Other than that, I don't feel that bribery is a good idea.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:48 AM on May. 30, 2010

• Instead of bribes you can do "first, then", a great parenting tool. First we'll clean your room, then we'll go to the park.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:53 AM on May. 30, 2010

• I don't. Kiwi knows what's expected of her and she follows the rules and behaves. That's all there is to it.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:58 AM on May. 30, 2010