what is back labor?

i've heard of back labor and the idea of it just confuses me because the uterus is in the front and labor is contracting of the uterus. do you not feel pain in the front, only the back? can you tell it's contractions or confuse it for back pain? what does it feel like?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on May. 30, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I had it with my second baby. She was pushing down on my spine as she descended into the birth canal and it hurt like heck. i had an epidural, but it had begun to wear off as I was pushing. It felt like how your back feels when your on your period...except a million times worse, nothing can re leave it except baby coming out :)

But once you see that baby, all else fades away :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on May. 30, 2010

• it feels like a contraction in your back muscles. i didnt feel it in the front at all, just in my back. i think it's caused by the baby's head facing your back, but i'm not sure. they say it is a lot more intense than regular labor. which i believe, it hurt like hell!
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 11:53 AM on May. 30, 2010

• Your uterus is so big it is everywhere, front and back and side to side. For some women because of their anatomy or because of the way the baby is positioned the baby's head pushes agains the spine/tailbone and each contraction makes it worse. The baby's head can even break the tailbone. This happened to me during my first birth with no epidural. After my tailbone broke it actually felt better. I had broken it twice as a child and it may have healed in a way that made it so that it needed to break in childbirth for a baby to fit out. Better than a C-section.

If you don't have an epidural, monitors, ect. you can move around and get into different positions to relieve the pain.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:59 AM on May. 30, 2010

• Often back labour is due to the positioning of the baby. A baby who is posterior (face up) is more likely to cause back labour because the hard part of the baby's skull is pressing against the mom's lower back and tailbone. I had back labour with my first child, because he was face up until I started pushing (then he did turn and was born face down.) I did feel contractions in the front, but they were a lot less painful than the almost constant back pain which didn't let up between contractions. I ended up spending a ton of time in the shower for hot water and the only place I wanted the water was on my lower back... my belly was just fine without! Then, after the delivery I found I could not sit comfortably for several weeks... the doctor said that I had probably either bruised or fractured my tailbone.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:05 PM on May. 30, 2010

• ive had back labor with both of my babies, it really didnt feel any different than the other labor (except 1 is in the back.)
    LaMamiDeJase

Answer by LaMamiDeJase at 1:47 PM on May. 30, 2010

• I had dry labor with my first (water broke before labor started) and back labor with my second due to her being born posterior and I will tell you the dry labor was WAY worse then the back labor. I felt best with the back labor kneeling on all fours and letting gravity pull her away from my spine and having DH spray hot water on my back during contractions. We were a sight in the shower of the labor room! During my first I wanted the hot water on my belly the whole time. I had two natural/intervention free/non medicated births.
    Anonymous