Why do dogs roll in gross stuff?

My cute 4lb chihuahua went strolling out to the sidewalk where a worm dried up and died..a big long worm that I knew I should have moved to the grass...i think a bird dropped it. anyways, it dried up and died and my dog sniffed it and promptly rolled around on it!!!!! she just had her flea drops so I couldn't wash her...WHY did she do that??? she's rolled in other things I didn't go look at, just bathed her afterwards...

Momchipomkids

Asked by Momchipomkids at 11:54 AM on May. 30, 2010 in Pets

• Some dogs do this more than others. It may be that he thought it smelled interesting and wanted to let everyone else smell it by making him smell like it. Lucky you.

I had a dog that I took to an off leash park at a lake every day. I had to watch that he didn't roll on dead fish. He liked that smell a lot. If he did there was a self car wash nearby and he would get sprayed down with plain water before going home. He didn't like that a lot. He wasn't smart enough to learn, 'if I roll in dead fish I get sprayed at the car wash.'

http://www.school-for-champions.com/behavior/dogs_roll.htm

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:06 PM on May. 30, 2010

• i dont know but i had a black lab that would go to the cow pasture and come back with poo all over him. it was so gross. it's like they think stuff like that smells good.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 12:06 PM on May. 30, 2010

• Yeah they are attracted to smelly stuff. Apparently dogs sense of smell is 300 times stronger than humans. A male dog can smell a female dog a mile a way while in heat. Go figure.
    My dog a baby pug goes into the yard and sniffs something and digs it up and then rolls and rolls in that area. So does my Boston Terrier who is 4. They love to roll in clover too. I D K why-- maybe to them the smelliest wins? Who knows. My dogs also love smelly food. Onions, garlic and really pungent food. I used to feed my dog raw onions then I found out they are bad for them. Ugghh.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 12:12 PM on May. 30, 2010

• my yellow lab liked to roll in animal corpses. GROSS. he found a dead fish on the side of the road when i was walking him and just went crazy rolling around in it...needless to say i bathed him quite often, he didn't seem to enjoy smelling good haha
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 12:16 PM on May. 30, 2010

• Our vet says it goes back to their days in the wild. They would roll in things like that to mask their scent when hunting. Drives me nuts too, but that is the supposed reason for it.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 2:18 PM on May. 30, 2010

• It's true they do it to mask their scent, mine is always rolling in misc poop and dirt, drives me crazy but apparently it is so ingrained that it cant be changed short of taking them out every time on a leash.
    Anonymous

• All the dogs I have ever had since i was born have all rolled in stinky stuff LOL ! always fun for them but not so fun for us (unless we are taking them hunting) -this is precisely why they do this. It masks their small so they can hunt and sneak up on stuff without smelling like the flowers we turn them into with all our shampoos and sprays :) Anyhow i understand with the flea stuff (we use frontline) and ur really not suppose to wash them that week. Anyhow unless it is just horrid (we live in the country and our find rotten carcasses- these are horrid!) but you can sprinkle them with baking soda and brush them out this is a dry clean. It also neutralizes smells. This should work on the little things-worms-dirt-dead birds-etc. until bath time is okay. Also since you are brushing them it helps distribute the oils in their fur which actually helps spread the flea meds. anyways. GL and have fun with rolley poley!
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 1:21 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• I watched our neighbors' dog eat the poop out of a diaper that was lying in their yard (yes, classy, I know). I was so disgusted, but kept watching because I just couldn't believe what I was seeing!
    Anonymous