Can i still breast feed when she is a week old

My daughter was born on the 21 of may and she spent a week in the hosptile cuz of joundus and my milk finally came in about four days ago and i have tried to breast feed her and she latches on but doesnt suck for very long i need advice also she is 7 days old and my boobs have are not so big anymore do i still have milk if so how do i get my body to think i am breast feeding so i get enough milk please help somone

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:02 PM on May. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you can always pump! :) good luck! just keep working with her shell get the hang of it
    akalei

Answer by akalei at 12:04 PM on May. 30, 2010

• Yeah keep letting her nurse, sucking is what makes the milk come in. You can get a lacto bag. It is a tiny bag that you put milk and wear it around you neck, there is a little tiny tube that you tape to your nipple so she sucks and gets milk while stimulating your breasts.
    Women who have never had a baby can breast feed. So you can do this. Call the hospital or La Lache League in your area and find the supplies you need.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 12:08 PM on May. 30, 2010

• Latching is the hard part. Try getting her down to just her diaper and having skin to skin contact. Don't have her all swaddled and too warm. That can make her sleepy and not interested in nursing. All your body needs is her suckling. You can pump if you want but you don't have to. The rental pumps are the most effective.

It's great that you have decided to breastfeed. You can call a LLL Leader or lactation consultant for help. LLL Leaders provide free phone help. You can call the LLL International helpline number on their website. They sometimes have problems getting volunteer Leaders to help on holidays. You can find a Leader in your city or state and call her even though it's a holiday weekend.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:13 PM on May. 30, 2010

• my son was in the hospital for the first two weeks of his life, they told me not to touch him let alone bf him. So I pumped and the hospital fed him my milk, and then i nursed when he got home, it was hard to start with and my milk started to go away at one point, but latching on and having contact is key to get your milk flowing again. I would def call a lactation consultant or whatever, they can sometimes make you feel more comfy. GOOD LUCK! It is possible!
    Anonymous

• what I did, my dd was in the NICU for a week and my milk didn't come in for a couple of days. so the nurse at the hospital told me to put a put a bottle nipple on my breast and have her feed that way. B/c she wouldn't drink in without the nipple, so I breast fed her until she was 8 months...congrats on the new baby, and good luck
    Anonymous

• Yes, just stay hydrated.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:42 PM on May. 30, 2010

• Make sure you are hydrated and get that child to your breast. If all she has had up to this point is bottles then teaching a latch is going to be difficult, but GET RID of the bottles. If need be get a supplemental nursing system and feed formula through that until you get your milk supply established and LO is latching on well. If possible go crawl in bed for a day with just you and LO and have your breasts constantly exposed and available.
    Anonymous

• It is not too late! Get in bed with your baby for the next couple of days. You, bare from the waist up, baby in only a diaper. Let baby sleep on your chest and stay "skin to skin" as much as possible. Encourage baby to nurse frequently, a few times an hour even!
    When baby's sucking slows down grab your breast and squeeze it to get the milk flowing again and she will start swallowing and sucking again.
    If you can spend the next few days focusing on only you and your baby (get in bed, maybe a stack of dvds/magazines etc.) then by next week it should be a piece of cake!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:54 PM on May. 30, 2010

• Join Breastfeeding Mom's look it up on Kellymom.com
    Anonymous

• of course. just put baby to breast. i havent nurse in 6 mts and i still have milk. milk takes a whiloe to dry up. get a pump and pump every 2 hrs, contact la leche league. if you have to get a nipple shield. feed on demand. stay hydrated!! oatmeal is great for milk supply also go to gnc or any healthfood store and get mothers milk tea. babies r us sells it too
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 7:55 PM on May. 30, 2010