Do you qualify for medicaid but don't get it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:17 PM on May. 30, 2010 in Just for Fun

• My daughter did when she was pregnant and for awhile after she had her baby, but as soon as her benefits kicked in with her new job after having the baby she got off of it and paid for regular insurance. She knew that medicaid is an assistance that should only be temporary. Her baby still qualifies because of her pitiful pay, but she doesn't want to rely on public aid...she wants to be self-reliant. She won't get food stamps or WIC, even though she qualifies for those, too, because she doesn't want to be a burden to society. We help her as much as we can without making her feel like it's charity. We just say that we have food leftover that is about to expire and it's too much for us to eat. Every time we take our granddaughter out with us we buy her things because that's what grandparents do, so she accepts that. That's what family does.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 11:49 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• IDK how anyone can qualify for medicaid for themselves. Our kids have it (think god) but when my husband lost his job they said he made too much in unemployment (243 a week) to qualify for medicaid. It's friggin ridiculous.
    Anonymous

• Of course $243 a week would be too much. That's a fortune. In Indiana disabled people can only get their SSI and not earn a penny more. You can't baby sit, substitute teach, sell things online, nothing. SSI is now $675. The most anyone on SSI can get in food stamps is $10 a month. You can get medical care but you have to try and survive on $675 a month.

I now live in Arizona where you could make some money but there was always a risk that if you did they could take you off Medicaid and if you really needed it to survive (your medical condition is life or death) they advise against earning anything. Now Arizona is in HUGE financial trouble and is cutting adults off medicaid. I should be safe since I'm on SSI but I'm glad I hadn't been earning anything and risked getting cut off. My medicines cost over $3000 a month.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:56 PM on May. 30, 2010

• In PA all kids are covered regardless of income. So our kids have it. And I do because I'm pregnant and BiPolar, but my DH who is in drug recovery and in need of a new Kidney can't get it because we make to much money. We have 5 people in our house - we also care for my disabled BIL - and apparently my DH's $200 a week on unemployment is to much money... So we are paying for his Rx & Dr apts out of pocket... $500 a month... I've been looking for a second job because my job isn't giving me more than 2 days a month right now, but because I'm pregnant I can't find anything... So we starve!
    Anonymous