teaching my one year old body parts

what are some ideas to teach my one year old her body parts such as leg, arm, nose, ear...plus she is 14 months and doesnt say hardly any words is this normal??

mrswarner08

Asked by mrswarner08 at 1:50 PM on May. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• teach the interactive song "head, shoulders, knees and tooooes, knees and tooooooes" Barney does a version of it and my son loves it. 14 months old is still young so don't worry about speech! Just keep teaching her. Read to her, label and point to objects, label and point to the items in the grocery store, converse with her and give her a chance to answer (even if it's just babble that's a conversation in a way hahaha).
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:55 PM on May. 30, 2010

• lol yeah she does alot of babbleing, she is really good at sounds but no words really come out.
    mrswarner08

Answer by mrswarner08 at 2:01 PM on May. 30, 2010

• everytime before naptime my dd and i would lay together and i would point to her eyes and say "eyes" and I would touch her nose and say "nose" we did this everyday and now shes always doing it on her own. even dressing we talk about feet hands and socks etc
    navajomama7

Answer by navajomama7 at 2:25 PM on May. 30, 2010

• That's totally normal. At her age, recognition of words is more important but even that is hard to tell. My first didn't really talk until 18 months and then only 50 words. Now she's a Chatty Cathy and has a great vocabulary for her age. You don't need to teach, per se, but like the others suggested just keep talking. It's hard with the first because you feel you're talking to yourself. I remember that phase, and at one it seems like ALL the other babies are talking but mine didn't say much at all. PBS development tracker is a great place to see if your child is more or less on track.

My second is 14 months and only has a couple "words" too. She doesn't point to anything but she is able to follow simple instructions. Cheers!
    MamaZoya

Answer by MamaZoya at 3:38 PM on May. 30, 2010

• I think playing the "where is your _______" game is the best for kids this age. With my son we started with the simple things... where is your head, where are your eyes, where are your toes... things like that. As he got better we taught things like elbows and knees and things like that. He also things the song... "head, shoulders, knees and toes"
    Even if she doesn't say much yet doesn't mean she can't find them and point... and after awhile she will start to say them as well.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:11 PM on May. 30, 2010

• Point and say. On her and you (she can see yours, she can't see hers; some babies learn their own better, some learn what they can see better, so try both). Eventually she'll get it if you repeat it enough. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:27 PM on May. 30, 2010