Have you caught yourself giving your kid the "mom curse" or using the same expressions your mother did with you?

For those of you who don't know what the "mom curse" is, it's where you tell your kid when they're acting crazy that one day they'll have a kid just like them.
Mom expressions such as "Because I said so" or "I'm the mom, that's why".
My mom gave me the mom curse, and I've got a kid who is JUST like I was as a child (excited all the time, plays jokes a lot, very hyper).

Kiwismommy19

Asked by Kiwismommy19 at 2:09 PM on May. 30, 2010 in Just for Fun

• yeah... and I hate it that my mom was right!
    Anonymous

• yeah my mom always said that to me. she was beyond abusive and when i tried to make her stop she took it as an attack and would say that she hoped my kids turned out like me, and you know what, i hope they do because unlike her i'm a decent human being. i'd never use "because i said so" or "cause i'm the mom" thats wrong to not have a real or legitimate reason
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 2:14 PM on May. 30, 2010

• I am the total opposite of my mom....I raise my kids totally different. I am a better parent, and hopefully the cycle will repeat.
    bellamommyof4

Answer by bellamommyof4 at 2:17 PM on May. 30, 2010

• However I do use the words that most moms use like. because I said so thats why! Or would you close the front door we dont live in a barn! and then the famous, money doesnt grow on trees!
    bellamommyof4

Answer by bellamommyof4 at 2:18 PM on May. 30, 2010

• Yep, I have caught myself saying some of my mom's "mom-isms" and "mom-words" (words I swear she must have made up-- like flomping as in "stop flomping around").

When my sis and I would be getting into it fussing and arguing my mom would say "I hope you have 10 kids just like you!"-- well my sis got around that one she did not have any kids! And yes I did say "I hope you have 10 kids just like you" to my kids before.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 2:56 PM on May. 30, 2010

• my parents always said "just wait you gonna have a kid ten times worse than you" yeah my daughter is a spittin image of me...she is one onry lil shit, im dreading the teenage years. im gonna have my hands full

and i do use the because i said so...because we(DH&I) pay the bills....as long as you live here...were you born in a barn close the door....
    oh yeah i use those dreadful lines.

lol Miz...my mom made up words also and ive caught myself using those and makin up my own. she also use to change the lyrics to kids songs to make them silly and i find myself doing the same. we have 2 cats so i changed how much is that dog in the window to how much is that cat in the window, the one with the fluffy tail...lol kinda scary that im like my mom so much
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 4:31 PM on May. 30, 2010

• I gave my oldest and youngest the "mom curse," but not my middle child....she has always been sweet, mild-mannered, and kind. The oldest and youngest girls (I only have the 3) have bickered and fought since the youngest was old enough to be demanding.
    My oldest has a daughter (my wonderful grandbaby!) and the "mom curse" hasn't worked. I'm kind of glad, though, because my granddaughter is so sweet and loving. :)
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 11:33 AM on Jun. 1, 2010