what are your thoughts on this?

Where I live there is a beautiful mountain top that has a war memorial on it. From the memorial site you have a 360 view of the ocean, city, mountains, everything... it is a BEAUTIFUL sight!

Every Easter morning one of the local churches holds a sun rise service on the grounds. They get a city permit to do so every year.

However, for the past couple years there has been a athiest man who tries to beat the church to get a permit to have an athiest meeting on Easter morning on that exact spot.

I honestly have no issue with people choosing to be athiests... but that is simple mean.... what are your thoughts. I would specially like to hear from athiests.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:13 PM on May. 30, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• to be honest...it doesn't BELONG to any of them-so I guess that whoever pays for the spot first-gets it
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 2:34 PM on May. 30, 2010

• does the man succeed? If the church was smart they would be at the courthouse getting this permit the day it was available.

is it mean? of course it is. This guy clearly has a problem with Christian celebrations. He is clearly trying to stop this celebration because he has personal issues. A person comfortable with their own beliefs wouldn't try to stop others from practicing theirs. The Church should get a permit on Holy Saturday and hold a celebration that day.
    Anonymous

• My thought are IF the Atheist group is trying to beat out the Church just so they can, it's wrong. It's no different than a any other form of religious war...

However, if for what ever reason these Atheists find that day special or have a reason why that day over others - I don't see it as any more than a first come first serve. I understand that to the Christians Easter is a special day, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't have meaning for others who aren't Christian... I wouldn't know what that meaning is, but I think there are three sides to ever story, and somewhere between the Churches story and that of the Atheists lies the truth...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:00 PM on May. 30, 2010

• He's being mean.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 3:39 PM on May. 30, 2010

• Both groups have a right to get a permit and use the spot, but the man is just being a pest.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 3:44 PM on May. 30, 2010

• I would say he is being mean.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 3:48 PM on May. 30, 2010

• He sounds like a militant atheist.  That's the atheist version of a bible thumper.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 5:44 PM on May. 30, 2010

• I think it depends on his intentions. If he's just trying to keep the Christians from getting it, that's mean. But if he has legitimate reasons to want to be able to be there at that time, it should be first come first served.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:55 PM on May. 30, 2010

• HIs views do not necessarily reflect the views of all atheists. He's just doing it because he can. He needs some help with his mental health issues. I would be embarrassed to be around someone like him. Yeah it's mean, but also first come first served.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:54 PM on May. 30, 2010

• However, if for what ever reason these Atheists find that day special or have a reason why that day over others

Which would be what? I think in this instance making a logical assumption isn't uncalled for. If this man is truly without any belief in any god then what could he possibly see as special about one day over another? He's doing this to prove that he can.
    Anonymous