would you expect to be fired if you did this

i run a store, well im owner and manager all in one
i have an assistant
she does what i need her to do

so i give her a list
-go to starbucks get my coffee
-empty all trash
-highlight this phrase in a stack of papers
-organize my cabinet

ets...starbucks is across the street

so she mumbles "im not your bitch"
so i act like i dont hear it, she's a single mom, only works 30 hours, i give her a stipend in her check for childcare, most dont do that anymore, and ya know im compassionate because ive been there before

we're both the same age with LO's the same age too so i think she may have envy

well, i came back 2 hours later and none of the work was done. wtf?

so i confront her and tell her to leave for the day, as she walks off she calls me a bitch
i have her come back to my office, pull her file, and allow her to resign, she didnt want to, so i fired her and told he

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:35 PM on May. 30, 2010 in Just for Fun

• shit i would love to have a job that pays for my daycare + my regular pay and all i would have to do is...

-go to starbucks get your coffee
    -empty all trash
    -organize your cabinet

Wow in todays economy i would be thankful for a job, let alone one working with a mom my age with kids the same age as mine.
    Anonymous

• I think it was rude of you to have her get you a Starbucks unless you were going to pay for her to get one too.

However.... that aside........ If she didnt do the actual work and called you a bitch... AND didnt resign, then YES I would have fired her too.

Anonymous

• Yes it is her job and she shouldnt have reacted that way but at the same time, good for her for sticking up for herself. You can not honestly expect some one to want to be treated that way. Is that how you actually worded the list? "Go to starbucks get my coffee." I would have to agree with her bitch comment then. Unless you are paying her an awful lot of money,it is almost unheard of anymore to expect that out of an assistant. And by ALOT of money, I mean ALOT. A more appropriate way to ask for a FAVOR is to say "hey would you mind picking up my drink from Starbucks? I am really busy and need it more than ever. Thanks, youre the best."

Anonymous

• Yes, she should be fired. Also, it's not rude of you to tell her to pick up your coffee but not buy one for her. You're the boss, she is the assistant and does not deserve her own Starbucks unless she wants to buy her own. I'd fire her just for calling me a bitch. Also, since she's been fired, no unemployment for her. She sounds very ungrateful for having a job and obviously doesn't know her place as the assistant.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 2:43 PM on May. 30, 2010

• it be in her best interest to not use me as a reference and wrote her a check for her paycheck right then and there
    Anonymous

• anon

its her job to get me starbucks, or a sandwich, she's MY Assistant i give her money for herself sometimes but hey...im not feeding everyone who works for me...
    she gets paid pretty good and her last job was fast food, hope she has fun back there again because she's going to get a rude awakening if she uses me as a reference on an app and i get called to check

Anonymous

• Yup, it is her job to do all those things, and it's pretty easy peasy, if you ask me. For her to mumble "I'm not your bitch"....? Yeah, she would be gone. That's her JOB, and she gets PAID for it.... Does she not understand the true meaning of what she said? :/ Being someone's bitch is doing what you're ordered/told to do, without getting anything in return.
    It might be envy, but it doesn't matter. She gets paid good to do stuff like that.
    I would fire her, and, if it were me, I would expect to be fired too.
    ManicMomma02

Answer by ManicMomma02 at 2:48 PM on May. 30, 2010

• Anon, "assistant" is different from "secretary" or "receptionist", so getting coffee is not a ridiculous job requirement.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 2:48 PM on May. 30, 2010

• yah..lol
    thats her job
    thats what a PA does, they are the bosses bitch in so many words
    get paid a lot to do the little things for the bid dogs...this is normal in a business world

she should have did what she needed to do

if i was called a bitch and i was paying her childcare and her regular pay
    i would have embarrassed her badly

now what she 'stand up' for her self even though she didnt do her job and now she cant afford anything...because of her slick lip
    sucks for her
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 2:50 PM on May. 30, 2010

• I'd watch out with the reference thing. In some states it's illegal to give a bad reference...even if it's warranted...and if you do the former employee can sue you. The only thing you can do is refuse to give a reference when they call. When I was managing a retail store we had to fire a woman for stealing, and she stole in a big way. A few weeks later we got a call from a very high-end jewelry store asking for a reference and could not tell the potential employer about what happened.

Check into the legalities in your area before you get yourself in a potential bad situation over a woman that isn't worth it!
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 2:54 PM on May. 30, 2010