Electric Shock Therapy??

I was just wondering if anyone has here has had electric shock therapy? I've am being tested for Stage IV Endometriosis, and my doctor was explaining they would have to use these metal panel things and do electric shock therapy on my uterus (supposing the whole thing doesn't get removed). I thought it was reserved for persons with mental disorders (which is typically what it is used for). I have college admissions coming up and have to explain why my grades dropped (I got really sick) which ties in with treatment. How do you explain it without sounding 'crazy.' Did anyone else have this problem? How did you handle it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:44 PM on May. 30, 2010 in Health

• Oh, and just to say, it doesn't sound all that crazy to me. You were being treated for endometriosis. Period. DH had brain surgery a little over a year ago- THAT sounds crazy. Just be honest, but don't reveal any more than you have to. No one has the right to have the full explanation of any medical condition if you don't want to give it to them.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 4:24 PM on May. 30, 2010

• I think I understand what your doctor was talking about; DH had to have something similar on his neck a few years ago to correct some spasms. It isn't shock therapy like what we think of with mental patients. With DH, they put these contacts on him (like they do for EKG) then turned on a machine that sends small electric shocks to the contacts and into the muscles. His was to relieve the muscle pain and spasms. What your doctor is describing sounds similar to that; maybe it would be used for pain relief or general treatment?
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 4:21 PM on May. 30, 2010

• I think you may have heard wrong because this sounded weird to me, and I googled it, and I see nothing about electro shock being used as a treatment for endometriosis. Electro shock therapy, when it is used (which isn't often these days) sends electric shocks through the brain. I don't see how that would affect your uterus at all.
    Anonymous