Why can't DH spend a little time with the kids?

I just don't understand why most men never want to spend time with their kids. Or is it just my DH? I asked him to take the kids to the pool, they have not been yet and the pool just opened yesterday. I am stuck here at the house doing housework and the kids are bored out of their mind. I am always the one taking them places. I don't mind taking them but today is just one of those days where I have so much to do. Would it really kill him to spend couple hours out of the day to watch them swim?! I mean WTF.

Am I wrong for feeling upset about this one?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:08 PM on May. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• 1) It really isnt "all men"
    2) Maybe next time give him choices. Do you think he simply doesnt want to go to the pool... but might be willing to do some other activity?
    Anonymous

• No trust me he is not willing to do anything with the kids.
    Anonymous

• You're not wrong and you're not alone. Some men do not want to take responsibility for the care of their children. You have to insist that he do it. He might just have a little fun! I told my DH that I was tired of being a single parent... that got his attention. I let him have it - told him all that I do in the house and with the kids and asked him what he had done recently. I told him that the kids were half his and that he needed to give them at least half of his time. I work a full-time job too so he could not throw that at me. He felt guilty, so I made a weekly schedule of the days I would have "off" and told him that he was going to be the parent on those days. I still have to remind him, but he does it now and his relationship with the kids has really grown.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 3:14 PM on May. 30, 2010

• Oh yeah and we are kinda low on money so I thought the pool would be a good place to go. The kids been asking to go for a while now.
    Anonymous

• No your not wrong... my husband is very active in your sons life.. we have opposite sifts so he even watch's the baby 40 hours a week when i work!!! I took care of your son all be my self for the first 8 weeks (he was scared to watch him by his self) i told him i was stressed out and as a team he should be pitching alittle more.... baby steps are good. took my 6 months but hes a perfect dad now!!!! good luck!!!!
    ILoveConnor09

Answer by ILoveConnor09 at 3:15 PM on May. 30, 2010

• It's like pulling teeth to get my husband to do this. We'll all be outside in the backyard and he'll be checking facebook or playing video games. I know how you feel girly! I just don't know what to do about it either! xoxox
    Anonymous

• My DH does everything with our boys, pool, park, walk the dog in the evenings, school functions, baseball, and soccer. He even gets up at night 3 times a week w/ our dd. We talked everything out before we had any kids and we had a plan set in place. I am the one struggling keeping up with my end (all the household duties), but he is a very understanding guy, so it's not like I feel pressure by him to keep up all the time, it's the pressure I out on myself.
    kgsharber

Answer by kgsharber at 4:11 PM on May. 30, 2010

• Why not just tell him he IS going to. My husband almost never volenteers to take our son but I make a point to leave the 2 together often. My husband isn't a "natural" parent. Its hard for him to take an interest.

I just force the issue. I figure they'll both thank me for it later.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 1:09 AM on Jun. 3, 2010