When did u start giving your baby juice?

I know your suppose to wait until they are 6 months old but would it be okay or healthy to give it to my 5 month old son if I made it half water?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:33 PM on May. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter had it around 4 1/2 months the first time, half juice, half water. It was a accident though, she grabbed her cousin's cup from the table while I was holding both of them (her cousin is 9 months older). She spilled most of it down her shirt, but she loved what went in her mouth. I don't see the problem giving it a little early.
    The suggestion to wait is just a guideline, not a hard and fast rule.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 3:36 PM on May. 30, 2010

• Over a year, I think it was around 15 months.
    thisloveofmine

Answer by thisloveofmine at 3:37 PM on May. 30, 2010

• I just don't want it to affect his teeth or health. Bc I heard that he won't eat his formula like he should bc juice would fill him up.
    Anonymous

• You might have that problem. I did. (wanting juice all the time, not drinking his formula) Why give him juice in the first place? It's full of sugar. Babies don't need sugar. I don't think you should do it.
    Anonymous

• I always gave Kiwi her bottle of formula, then let her have a few drinks of juice (about two ounces or so after an 8 ounce bottle of formula). Just do the formula first. And as far as the teeth, you can get little rubber tooth scrubber things w/baby safe tooth cleaner to clean his teeth afterward.
    They also help w/the teething because it has little tiny ridgy things that massage the gums.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 3:46 PM on May. 30, 2010

• Oh I answered for just my son. My daughter is also 5 months and I'm definitely not going to give her juice yet. And about them not wanting to drink their formula and just wanting juice, I think that's pretty accurate. I wouldn't know for a baby but my son is 2 now and if he gets to much juice (his dad is ALWAYS giving him juice since he likes it) he wont drink anything else and I have to stop giving him juice completely for a while to get him to drink milk and water. Also juice IS full of sugar and I don't let my kids have ANY sugar until their 1st birthday. It probably isn't good for their teeth but anyway, I don't think giving your 5 month old juice is a BAD thing but why do you want to? Are there any good reasons? (I just can't think of any)
    thisloveofmine

Answer by thisloveofmine at 3:49 PM on May. 30, 2010

• I just thought about giving him something different bc he still has to eat every 2 hours and its getting a little out of hand with the formula thing. We have to buy like 12 cans extra a month!
    Anonymous

• Even at 6 months you should water down their juice! I didn't give my kids juice until shortly before their first birthday and only as a treat. I still water down their juice and my older ones are 8, 10, and 12 - they think straight juice is too sweet.

Answer by missanc at 5:46 PM on May. 30, 2010

• Juice is all the fruit sugar without the benefits of the fiber in the fruit. Most of those juices on the market barely even have fruit...most of them are full of added sugar or corn syrup. I wouldn't give it at all. It isn't necessary. Wait a month or two and just give the baby tastes of real fruit. The only liquid they need is formula/breastmilk and later water. Juice isn't going to curb the need for formula or breastmilk, it is just going to create a sugar rush and a bad habit. Just to warn you. Formula is pricey, that's just the way it is. For the first year, if they don't breastfeed, everyone who uses formula pays through the nose. Babies grow rapidly and NEED a lot of formula for growth and brain development because they do not digest other things well because thier digestive system is immature. Juice is not going to provide nutrition.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:18 PM on May. 30, 2010

• Juice is pointless. Feed your baby if he is hungry.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:01 AM on May. 31, 2010