Medical Induction vs. Self Induction

Is there a difference in the way it effects the baby? Say your doctor recommends an induction, and you comply, we all know the various outcomes, from worse contractions to a higher risk of c-section. But what if you manage to trigger baby's arrival with all the home remedies/techniques, etc.? Are the risks still higher than just awaiting the start of labor on your own? Or is it a tiered kind of thing? Worst being medical induction, second being self induction, third and best being just sticking it out?
There was a flow chart in Newcomer's that made me curious. :)

sojourner.

Asked by sojourner. at 4:51 PM on May. 30, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Honestly, none of the "home remedies" really work. If you "trigger labor" with them, then labor was already going to be coming. Personally, if I don't want an induction by the hospital, I make sure that I have a doctor who actually has a low rate of induction and really will do it only when medically necessary.
    Anonymous

• I was medically induced with my first child and it was horrible! The recovery was painful!

My second child, I had my membranes stripped at 40 weeks and 4 days, then went and walked, and the contractions started! The labor was so much easier! And so was the recovery!

I am with the PP.. I think that babies come when they want no matter what we do. Women should NEVER try to break their own waters or mess with their cervixs unless they are medically experienced. I have known some women to try this, and they ended up causing a huge infection
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 5:23 PM on May. 30, 2010

• I don't understand the whole "worse contractions" thing. I was induced with pitocin for my 3rd and the contractions weren't any faster, harder, etc. than they were with my first two. It was actually a very fast, quick labor - and it didn't hurt that my OB kept me laughing through most of my labor - he's a very funny guy with a great sense of humor!

Answer by missanc at 5:43 PM on May. 30, 2010

• having gone through "self induction" and served as a doula through another I can tell you it is a waste of time. You will have contractions and you will feel like you are in labor, but it doesn't actually accomplish much. It makes for a very long and tiring labor that could still get you the same results as medical induction but for different reasons. Just wait it out if you can.
    SashaJ

Answer by SashaJ at 6:19 PM on May. 30, 2010