What exactly do Pagans and Wiccans believe?

and what's the difference between the two?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:55 PM on May. 30, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• i'm pagan but not wiccan. my personal spiritual path is based on seneca wolf clan (native american) teachings. i believe that there is a spiritual energy that connects all living things, including all people, animals, plants, and even rocks. because we are all part of this web, it is not only our responsibility, but in our best interest to care for all of these beings. i believe in the beauty and need for mystery. i believe in The Way - this is about encompassing All That Is - not about judging good and bad, just recognizing that both exist in a balance. I believe in the ability to access wisdom from the earth and ancestors. i believe in personal choice and responsibility. i believe in the need for equality of women in all ways in order to achieve balance, as well as proper treatment of earth, animals, and all peoples.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 9:23 PM on May. 30, 2010

• Pagan is an umbrella term that encompasses Wicca. Basically, Wicca is to Paganism what Baptists are to Christianity. It's just a "denomination" of Paganism. Paganism covers a broad range or religions, though, including Wicca, Druidism, Shamanism, Asatru, etc. It's really hard to give a generalization of Pagan beliefs, because they can vary so greatly. Though some example of beliefs held by Pagans (not all) are things like: polytheism- the belief in more than one supreme being, reverence for nature, and reincarnation. Also, some Pagans practice witchcraft, some do not, though one does not have to be Pagan to be a witch.

If you're interested in learning more about Paganism, there are several groups on here (including mine) that I'm sure would be happy to have you join, even just to learn about the beliefs.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 6:27 PM on May. 30, 2010

• In case you're interested, here's the link for my group. I hope my answer helped a little!

Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 6:29 PM on May. 30, 2010

• Okay, well the difference is easier to cover than the beliefs are... Just like Catholics are Christian, but not all Christians are Catholic - Wiccan's are Pagan, but not all Pagan's are Wiccans. Wicca is simply a "denomination" of Paganism.

Now, as for beliefs, that's a little harder to fit in the boxes... MOST Pagans will fall in to one of two categories however (and sometimes both). They are either a member of a religious belief which has Pre-Christian Ties OR are Nature based... And as stated sometimes both... The majority of Pagans are Polytheistic and believe in at least a God & a Goddess if not many of each.

From there on, the beliefs of any two Pagans could be vastly different.

I have some basic information on my blog if you are interested - http://WitchyWonderland.blogspot.com
    And feel free to message me if you would like more info or have questions!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:10 PM on May. 30, 2010