Got Mirena, now I'm pregnant...

I know this is a rare occurance, but I also know there are mom's out there who have also conceived while on Mirena. I haven't even had it for 3 weeks yet, and I apparently conceived a few days after the insertion procedure. I just found out about the pregnancy today, first through a home test, then bloodwork. I go in for a sono on Tuesday to find out my due date and to try to predict any complications. I was wondering from those who have experienced this, are there circumstances in which they would NOT remove the IUD? And if so, would it then require a c-section to get the baby safely out and remove the device then? I'm scared. Even though I was trying to prevent this, I already love this baby as much as my other three children. If anyone has experienced this or knows someone who has...please let me know the story, even if it's scary. Thank you so much ladies!

cskomk0106

Asked by cskomk0106 at 6:13 PM on May. 30, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Is the IUD still in place? If so, they will most likely try to remove it. Removing it can potentially cause a m/c, but leaving it in place is equally (or more) risky. They will also need to check on the location of the pregnancy because having an IUD in place makes tubal pregnancies more likely.

One of my friends did get pg on the Mirena. In her case, when she saw her doctor they found that the Mirena had slipped out of place and was sitting in the cervix. They removed it, and she is now in her second tri without complications.

HTH a bit and hope everything goes well with your pregnancy.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 6:25 PM on May. 30, 2010

• Thank you so much for sharing that with me! The IUD is still in there, but who knows, maybe mine slipped too! I will find out on Tuesday, so i'm keeping my fingers crossed until then.
    cskomk0106

Answer by cskomk0106 at 6:28 PM on May. 30, 2010

• I got my mirena last week and was told to use a back up for 4 weeks because this could happen. I just wanted to say good luck, I hope you have a healthy pregnancy!
    Anonymous

• I used it for 5 yaers, and I was so happy with it.
    And, yes, just last anon @ 6:35 sayed yor Dr. shoul tell you about back up.

Good luck.
    laygla

Answer by laygla at 7:03 PM on May. 30, 2010

• yes, you should have used a back-up until the effectiveness kicked in and no, they won't keep it in during your pregnancy.
    Anonymous

• are you sure, you weren't pregno b4 you got the mirena?
    psychobilly_mom

Answer by psychobilly_mom at 2:19 AM on May. 31, 2010

• Well as it turns out, implantation happened within days before having the iud inserted. The doc tried to remove it today, but it's been pushed too far up. I'm not sure what this means for us, but he's making some calls to some of the bigger hospitals to find out recommendations.
    cskomk0106

Answer by cskomk0106 at 1:00 PM on Jun. 1, 2010