how do i cook for a man that eats worse than a kid?

ok so the man hates most veggies, and the only ones i have ever seen him eat are corn and broccoli, and lettuce on a sandwich. when our budget needs to be cut, the first that i cut are the high priced processed foods that he relies on such as the premade popcorn chicken, boxed macaroni and cheese, and expensive cooked frozen shrimp and he acts like there is nothing in the house to eat. but when i cook a meal (say, chicken, rice/pasta and veggies) he will only eat the chicken, and will try to get full off the meat alone by eating a lot of it. he wont eat peas, carrots, collards, cabbage, pasta, most rice, black eyed peas, sweet potato, or anything that even sounds healthy. i refuse to make meals soley for his needs! most of the stuff we like, he hates. it gets expensive buying a lot of meat! we dont eat beef at all unless they go for a burger, i dont eat it at all. neither of us eat porkloin except bacon/sausage/ham. suggestion

secondtyme520

Asked by secondtyme520 at 6:28 PM on May. 30, 2010 in Food & Drink

• if he is hungry he will eat..feed your kids and yourself first and give his greedy meat loving butt the left overs if thats all he wonts to eat. I'm telling you if he is hungry enough he will eat what is there..if not then he can scrounge up so change and go get himself a big mac
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 6:33 PM on May. 30, 2010

• I just got out of a relationship with an Italian who had all these rules about what he would eat and what he woulnt eat. To me making spagetti sauce was opening up a jar of Ragu and sticking it in the microwave. lol,,,I found out that you never say stuff like that to an Ilalian. I can only imagine how exhausting this must be for you. Your guy is a true meat and potatoe kind of guy. The only thing I can come up with, is to look for meat specials and freeze stuff. Or make him cook his own meals! Does he like to barbeque? Do you? That might help over the summer anyway,,,good luck
    Anonymous

• Tell him to make his own meals, and give him a budget to work with. Or toss him a loaf of bread and some peanut butter. That's just ridiculous for an adult, and I can see how expensive that would get.
    Anonymous

• believe me..my dh is the SAME WAY. I don't even bother with him any more. I cook for me and my son. If he wants it then he can have it. Maybe two nights a week i will fix something that he enjoys. Hamberger helper and tacos. That makes him happy
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 6:43 PM on May. 30, 2010

• Tell him to grow up. Cook a variety of healthy, well-balanced meals. If he doesn't like them, he can have PB&J and an apple.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:57 PM on May. 30, 2010

• He can cook for himself.
    ddmac314

Answer by ddmac314 at 8:07 PM on May. 30, 2010

• You don't. He cooks for himself if he doesn't like what is being served.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:19 PM on May. 30, 2010

• anon 5:36pm... as an Italian, I completely see where your ex is coming from. When you grow up eating fresh and homemade pasta sauce, jarred Ragu is disgusting. I am extremely picky about the sauces I will eat. There are Italian resturants that I won't eat at because I can't stand their sauce. Ragu is one of the most nasty tasting sauces to an Italian who grew up with the homemade stuff.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:22 PM on May. 30, 2010

• hmmm... that is tough because not only does the way he likes to eat break your budget, it also is not as healthy as it could be. Can you find a happy medium? Does he like stuff like tacos or chili or even buffalo chicken? All of which can be made pretty inexpensive but are "man" food so to speak? Could you possibly get a deep fat fryer (not healthy I know-but one problem at a time!) and see if he will eat home made chicken deep fried or deep fried potatoes or something? If you can find a good inexpensive side like deep fried potatoes ( a big bag of potatoes is pretty cheap!) you can have that on the side-maybe with a ranch or BBQ dip and go from there?
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 8:23 PM on May. 30, 2010

• ty- as a Greek I get what you mean on the Ragu thing... my family cooked heavy red sauces from scratch and I have a problem with most red sauce that is not cooked for a long period of time!
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 8:24 PM on May. 30, 2010