6 month temper tantrums

How do I get them to stop, how do I get a 6 month old baby to realize that her daddy and I are not going to take temper tantrums? I do not want to spoil her, but i dont want her to keep this up, but other then ignoring the tantrums I am not sure what to do. I feel terrible ignoring her, but I have not clue how to handle this otherwise

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:30 PM on May. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sigh... When are people going to learn... Kids under 1 year old ARE NOT CAPABLE OF MANIPULATION!!! It is not a temper tantrum. The kid is not just throwing a fit. He's either hungry, wet, tired or frustrated. What the heck would YOU do if you were frustrated and could communicate with the people around you? I'd cry and scream too.
    Anonymous

• my 6.5 month old did this today over a book...lol not hunger, not wet, a book

i picked him up, he was looking down and saw his bookk and he started throwing his body back and arms up so i would put him down. his dad picked up the book and sat down with him and he was quiet, when he was reading my son was all the sudden happy

im in the same boat, but just think, they dont have basic communication to say hey i want to see the book, or hey i just want to be left alone
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 7:00 PM on May. 30, 2010

• Domonique, that's not a temper tantrum. That's the only way he can communicate. He wasn't trying to get anything that you wouldn't have given him anyway. He wasn't being manipulative. He wanted what is a normal form of stimulation for him.
    Anonymous

• Anon 5:35 that is the biggest load of crap! Infants ARE aware of cause and effect. When are YOU going to realize that infants are not brain dead. They are capable of reasoning, manipulation, and complex thought process. Though they cannot express themselves as an older child can, doesn't mean they are incapable of relating to the same ability mentally. Do your research.

Anyhow. When my child (Including my six month old) has a temper tantrum I first stay calm. It is greatly important not to lose your patients over this, because that will only inhance their want to explode. (So to speak) If ignoring doesn't work for you, though it is the most commonly used approach, then you can try talking her out of the tantrum. That isn't the best method though, as a child can (and will at most times) use that to their advantage. "Mom is giving me attention, so I'm going to scream louder." (Contin)
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 7:03 PM on May. 30, 2010

• I do not believe a 6 month old could have a temper tantrum either. That is a litlle young. I can see a few months older closer to a year...but i still don't believe its really a tantrum that young. They are still only learning.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:07 PM on May. 30, 2010

• (Contin) My daughter (six months) has tantrums more then my son ever did (even today). She knows exactly what she wants will not settle for much else. Infact she was just throwing a tantrum a minute ago for my husband. She was crying, throwing herself around, and doing everything she could think of to get what she wanted. She's not hungry, she's not wet, she's not tired, but because she was in her chair and didn't want to be. A true and honest tantrum.

I honestly do not understand how people can say that infants are incapable of complex thought process as an older child can do. They're humans just like we are, but their lack of ability to communicate isn't the same as them being a vegitable mentally.

Ignoring your daughter when she throws a tantrum will not hurt her, scar her, or deture her from wanting your attention. It will only show her that you're not going to give in easily. Keep at it!
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 7:08 PM on May. 30, 2010

• now when my son was around 11 months old and started REALLY getting into thing and i would tell him "no" and would try to pull things away or redirect him he would grunt or scream and i'm sure that was his little tantrum. If he kept going back to it after i repeatedly would say no then i would eventually pop his hands and say no. Thats what worked best for us.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:11 PM on May. 30, 2010

• Yeah, Jazz... A developing infant brain is totally capable of complex thought. The don't even have fully control over their bodies. Yes, they are learning cause and effect, but they are not capable of using it to control another person. To say an infant can manipulate someone else is just stupid. The aren't capable of realizing that is possible until after they get into their first year. YOU do your research. Here are some resources for you:

Here

And here

Here, too

Don't forget here.

Anonymous

• A six month old who is throwing a fit is doing so for a reason, it is a real emotional reaction; it is not manipulation. Stay calm, be positive, and Find the cause. A six month old is not capabl of manipulation. They do understand cause and effect, but their abilities are limited to trying to convey a need with rudimentary communication skills. If you were preverbal and none of your other vocal and body language singals weren't conveying a message, you'd get hysterical too!
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:11 PM on May. 30, 2010

• OP here, she throws these fits when she tries to play with something I wont allow her to i.e. cords, a medicine bottle, or controllers, i dont want her playing with these and when I take them away she freaks out, and cries for upwards of an hour
    Laura_Cruz

Answer by Laura_Cruz at 10:54 PM on May. 30, 2010