Am I allowed to get a full body massage at 37 weeks pregnant?

amylynn4919

Asked by amylynn4919 at 6:45 PM on May. 30, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Certainly! Just ensure that the massage therapist knows how to do prenatal massages. You'll either lie on your side for it, or they'll have a special table with a cut out for your belly. My massage therapist prefers to just do it on the side because she feels it's safer and more comfortable for the mother.
    Anonymous

• Have you ever gotten in a pool of water being this prego? It wasnt better then a massage, but I had zero gravity. It was such a relief!
    Anonymous

• yes of course, but ask the therapist to avoid the ankles. There supposedly is a pressure point above the ankles that can begin labor. I was going to have my friend come over and work on the ankles as I got closer, but I ended up having her early due to complications.
    musichollie

Answer by musichollie at 6:54 PM on May. 30, 2010

• I had to get a note from my doctor or the spa wouldn't do it. The one I went to won't do them in the last trimester because there is (supposedly) a risk that you could go into labor. I was right at the beginning of my 3rd trimester so they agreed with the doctor's note.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 7:01 PM on May. 30, 2010

• SURE! I treated myself to several maternity massages during my pregnancy....most places have these now--fab!
    Anonymous

• Maxswolfsuit, that's probably because it was a spa instead of a massage therapist. They really aren't trained like a real therapist is, so a lot more can go wrong.
    Anonymous

• How can you lay on your stomach? Doesn't that squish the baby?
    Anonymous

• All the massage therapists there are licensed massage therapists and the one I went to was specially trained in prenatal massage. They are just very cautious.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 7:34 PM on May. 30, 2010

• I would definitely look for one trained in prenatal massage - they should not massage your ankles, feet, or the webbing between your thumb and pointer finger (which can cause contractions)

Answer by missanc at 7:37 PM on May. 30, 2010

• With both of my pregnancies I had a pre-natal massage around 36 weeks. It was the best! I went to a different place each time, but they both had me on my side. It was so relaxing I almost went to sleep except for the baby kicking my ribs the entire time. LOL
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 8:44 PM on May. 30, 2010