Latch Issues

Hi, I'm a mom to a 5-week old beautiful baby girl. Our issue is that we've been unable to achieve a good latch yet. I had scabbed nipples in the beginning, then sore, and now they're sore and also looks like I have vasospasm. Football hold is the most comfortable for us as I usually don't feel pain; however, my nipples always are creased after each nursing session. So far she's been gaining weight just fine (50th percentile) and for the most part seems to be satisfied after nursing. My concern is that if it negatively impacts my milk supply, we're going to have issues once I go back to work. I tried cross-cradle hold to see if we'll have more success there, but it actually causes me some pain. She seems to be opening her mouth wide enough and I make sure I aim to place her chin well below my nipple, but once she latches on her mouth doesn't form that 120 D angle I read I should aim for. Anyone else had a similar issue?

BellaBear10

Asked by BellaBear10 at 6:48 PM on May. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We never did get the "perfect latch" but this website helped me a lot  http://www.drjacknewman.com/    I also saw a lactation specialist on day three after birth.   What also helped me to get latch as good as I could get it was to aim my nipple at the roof of the baby's mouth, that way I got the angle right,

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 7:34 PM on May. 30, 2010

• is she taking in most, if not all, of your areola? and is her bottom lip curled out? if not, hold your breast just behind the areola and squeeze GENTLY to form your areola to the shape of her mouth so she can get a better latch. once she's latched well and nursing just support your breast as you usually do, which is another thing that could cause soreness. If you aren't supporting the weight of your breast she is having to hold on to stay latched. hope this helps :)
    Anonymous

• Also have her checked for tongue tie. That can interfere with latch.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:00 AM on May. 31, 2010

• You describe several symptoms of tongue tie. Get her checked for that asap! Sometimes, when you have tried "everything", baby can get the best latch with baby led attachment. Check out the info at Baby-led Attachment

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:12 PM on May. 31, 2010

• She does cover almost all of my areola, both top and bottom and I can see the pink of her lower lip. The only thing that looks off is the angle of her lips and that's something I cannot correct no matter how hard I try. I noticed that even when she yawns, she doesn't really open her mouth any bigger than when she is latching on. Even though the football position doesn't really hurt ( a bit initially but then it's ok) my nipples always feel sore afterwards for some time. My pediatrician checked her for tongue tie and the LC checked her sucking motion. Everything seemed to be in order, but I'll ask to check for tongue tie again, just in case. Some people told me that maybe her pallet is shallow and it's just going to take time for her to grow a bit for it to change. I don't mind the soreness if that's what it's going to take, but I am worried about my milk supply being adversly affected by the incorrect latch.
    BellaBear10

Answer by BellaBear10 at 4:11 PM on May. 31, 2010