I need opinions

Found out a 33 year old man in our neighorhood is hanging out with the middle schools kids including my son who is 13. When confronted he is quick to say the kids just keep coming over here. He would not listen to reason about how crazy this is for him. He actualy punched my husband when he confronted him. Of course my son thinks we are crazy. Am I the only mother who worries about purverts out there. All my son's friends live on the same street as this guy. So now he is stuck home with me. I don't mind but he will go crazy. I doubt myself alot when it comes to parenting but I don't think I am wrong in this situation. What do you all think?
Jill

jillnich

Asked by jillnich at 6:49 PM on May. 30, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• That really is creepy. I don't blame you and I'd be freaking out too.
    Anonymous

• I am with you. Grown men have no business hanging around young teens. I would keep my son home, but invite his friends to your house, so they are not hanging out with that weirdo!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:55 PM on May. 30, 2010

• Did you guys call the police when he punched your husband? Really need to get him under the radar zone of the local police dept. Did you go on-line and check for registered sex offenders in your area? In this day and age,,,everyone knows that this looks creepy, except the purv.
    Anonymous

• I had "older friends" growing up or a favorite neighbor I liked going to. They were not purverts, they were fun. If the guy is single, chances are he has really good junk food, DVDs, and gaming system. If all the kids are hanging out there, I really don't think you have much to worry about. I would not let him over there by himself tho, "just in case". I would also make sure your son knows about good touch/bad touch. I would also make sure his house is not the house with all the booze KWIM.. I do have a problem with the guy hitting your hubby.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 6:59 PM on May. 30, 2010

• well what are they hanging out doing? If they are alone in his home i think that would be kinda weird but a group of kids maybe playing some basketball or something in his drive way wouldnt be so bad.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:01 PM on May. 30, 2010

• Creepy!!!! And having older friends is one thing but 13 and hanging out with a 33 year old? That is not a friend, that is just wierd!!! What could they possibly have in common? I'm with you OP.
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 7:02 PM on May. 30, 2010

• Midnight, I dont agree with you. Its too late for good touch/bad touch after the fact. A 33 yr old single man should be hanging out with men his own age. If someone punched my dh, I would be telling everyone in the neighborhood to keep away from this guy. Now he has shown violent tendancies. Does that sound like a fun guy that you want your teens hanging around with?
    Anonymous

• I agree with the PP...it's creepy and I sure hope you called the cops when he punched your hubby. Check the sex offender websites to see if he is on it and I would ask the other kid's parents how they feel about the situation. You can't outright accuse the guy without proof so be careful or he can sue--but I would keep my kid away from him...
    Mother's instincts you know??? They are usually right....
    Anonymous

• Thanks for all the support. and yes we notified the police and my husband checks all the sites.
    jillnich

Answer by jillnich at 7:18 PM on May. 30, 2010

• OP, I said I DID have problem with him hitting your hubby.. I also said to make sure his house is NOT the booze house.. I was simply stating I had adult friends growing up and neighbors, they were not purverts... You wanted opinions, I gave you MY experiance with having older friends..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:25 PM on May. 30, 2010