what do you think about hiring a close friend to work for you?

I know she could use the money
I know there may be some conflict of interest

I do expect work to be done in a timely matter and all rules will still be in tact.
probationary period will be the same, 3months to receive first potential raise, 6months to get basic health care, dental, and vision, 1 year to get bonuses.

but im afraid she may think of me as like a joke, she's 4 years older than me
ive known her since 4
she's like an older sister at times

what do you think? I have the power to ask my husband to let it happen, we're partners, but Im unsure and kind of anxious

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:33 PM on May. 30, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I hired a friend of mine once. We worked a very small business. It was basically the owner, his wife, me and my friend. I was the "manager" so I had to manage one of my friends. It was really awkward at times, and then the owner had to fire her. Our friendship wasn't exactly ruined, but I think we would have remained better friends if she hadn't worked for me. It's not something I would ever do again.
    Anonymous

• I worked at the same place as my 19-20 yr old daughter.she eventually quit the job.I am gled she did.It wasn't easy, and I won't do it again.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 7:35 PM on May. 30, 2010

• A better question would be, if things dont work out, could you stand to loose her as your friend?
    Anonymous

• op

do u think it would end a friendship? oh gosh
    Anonymous

• thats ify
    on one hand if you dont hire her she may get mad and on the other hand if you do and for whatever reason she isnt cut out for the job you both could end up bitter. my rule of thumb is to never mix business with personal affairs. i guess it depends on what kind of person she is and how reliable she is. just go with your gut and you cant go wrong. good luck
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 7:55 PM on May. 30, 2010

• I'm with the PP on here. Your Friendship is a definite risk when you mix personal with pleasure.

If you were to hire her on is there someone that could be her manager / supervisor without her being directly under you? She may be a hard worker and a great employee, however it does happen that people fall into the thinking that Family / Friends will let some stuff slide.

If you were to choose to hire her, I'd suggest having that heart to heart talk about the fact that from 9 to 5 and on work related topics there is no personal between you too. In order to maintain a fair atmosphere to your other employees you can not look at her like your close friend during the job. You also have to think about if you have other employees how is this going to make them feel? Becareful they don't feel resentful towards her in fear that she is going to get preferential treatment because of her history with you and your husband.
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 8:04 PM on May. 30, 2010