how do i get my 9 year old to eat healthier/lose wieght?

i have an overwieght child that i need help with. no bashing please.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:34 PM on May. 30, 2010 in Health

• Start with getting rid of all temptations - cookies, snack food, chips, pop tarts, sugar cereals. Let him/her know that this will be happening. Have tons of fruits and veggies available for snacks. I keep bowls of grapes, strawberries and kiwis on the counters. My kids dive in.

Then get active together. Start with a walk after school and/or dinner. A bike ride. Walk around the mall in bad weather. Play Wii sports or Wii fit together. Getting healthy and in shape will help with not gaining more weight, and even losing.

Put the emphasis on getting healthy instead of losing weight to help with self esteem. I was never hugely overweight but my mom always told me how fat I was and how I needed to lose weight but she never helped me do it. Doing this together will show him/her how to do it and that you care about getting healthy yourself (even if you don't need to lose.)
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 7:42 PM on May. 30, 2010

• keep her off the junkfood, only healthy meals and snacks and go out and do some physical activity with her, take her hiking or go for a bike ride. childhood obecity is not something to be taken lightly. your daughters life is on the line
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 7:37 PM on May. 30, 2010

• Make it fun.And be the example.You both eat healthier.and do not call it a "DIET".That would imply the negative.Make it as fun as possible.And positive as possible.I think calling a kid fat it the worst thing a person could do.I does not help and makes the kid fell bad about themself.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 7:37 PM on May. 30, 2010

• I won't bash since I was a overweight child (and not much better now).....but children learn their eating habits from an early age and it is up to the parents to encourage healthy eating. At 9, you are going to have a hard time. I would NOT do a "diet" but rather encourage less tv and more activities. Make healthy meals for the WHOLE family so she doesn't feel like a target and no seconds except maybe once a week or special occasions. The whole family prob needs a change so it starts with you.
    Also, family outings, group walks, bike riding...fun things.

Just please don't tell her things like "you are fat" and such....this really does NOT help and will further the issue.

Also consult with her pediatrician and maybe a dietitian to learn about what to make/serve...

Good for you for trying anyway :-)
    Anonymous

• evelyn-we are on the same page...lol
    Anonymous

• let me add that getting rid of ALL temptations might be a bad idea..I know when I was not allowed to have something at all, I craved it more. Everything in moderation mixed with healthy. 2 cookies for dessert rather than 5.....1/2 cup of pudding or icecream instead of a pint.....you get the idea....
    stay away form "sugar free" crap--she is 9 and needs good nutrition, not chemicals....
    Anonymous

• oh and no eating in front of the tv.....you eat more then without even realizing it.....

also, let her help prepare meals....grow a garden....kids will eat more if they grow it/make it themselves...and it's good exercise...
    Anonymous

• The best thing about this situation is that your child is 9 and you are very much in charge of what your child will and can put in front of their face. Kudos to you for trying to stop this before it continues on to get worse.

Make healthy meals, remove all junk food from the house. If it's not accesible then your child won't be able to eat it. Set out servings of carrots , fruits or veggies that your child can grab as snacks. That way if you establish servings your child wont just sit and eat until the bag is empty. One of the biggest things in weight loss is food proportion. Start a walking schedule at night after dinner, take your kid to the park or walk to go rent a movie etc.

Find activities that keep your child moving around but they enjoy so to them it doesn't seem like a work out. Good Luck :)
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 8:00 PM on May. 30, 2010

• Not bashing just saying quit buying junk. He will eat healthy if you fix healthy food. Get him out and ride bikes with him or play tennis with him. Keep him active but remember he will go through a growth spurt soon and will thin out when he gets taller
    Anonymous

• If the kid's only 9, you are where it starts. If you buy crap, the kid will eat crap. So, stop buying junk food, stop buying anything bad. Buy plenty of healthy snacks - but also limit the snacking. That's where it starts. Get the bad food out of the house and you'll be off to a good start.
    Anonymous