Is sewing and crafting fading out?

Our local discount store is getting rid of their fabric department. Do any of you ladies still sew or is it becoming a dieing art?

drherrmann

Asked by drherrmann at 7:56 PM on May. 30, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• i love to sew all of our local walmarts closed all the fabric section i hate that
    Anonymous

• Walmart came in and put the other two store out of business and then 6 months later closed their doors :( Sadly it is fading. Most people look at me like I am crazy when I inform them that I sew and crochet and I am only in my early 30s.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:02 PM on May. 30, 2010

• I think the problem is that fabric has become so expensive. My dd however loves to knit and crochet. She is a junior in high school. She will sit and watch tv and knit. She takes her knitting with her wherever she goes,,,lol
    Anonymous

• Gosh I hope not - I design for the craft industry! I have to say my sales are doing fine, I think there is always a huge flood on the market of the 'next big thing' - like when scrapbooking started it was first in little boutiques and specialty stores, then all the big stores like Target and Walmart get in on it & push the little stores out of business. Then a new big thing starts and they need the shelf space for that instead. Its a loop. The only thing I think is dying out is dress making, as you can buy clothing so cheaply now.
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 8:03 PM on May. 30, 2010

• I do a little sewing and I dabble in different crafts. I usually find better quality fabrics and craft supplies online than I do at our local Walmart or variety store, though.
    FrogSalad

Answer by FrogSalad at 8:04 PM on May. 30, 2010

• I love to knit! I had to get on youtube to learn but it was worth it!! LOL!
    drherrmann

Answer by drherrmann at 8:04 PM on May. 30, 2010

• I knit, and used to scrapbook. I don't see knitting dying out at all and if the girls over at 2Peas have anything to say about it, neither is scrapbooking.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 8:25 PM on May. 30, 2010

• I scrapbook all the time and make cards. I just can't see myself not doing it.
    drherrmann

Answer by drherrmann at 8:40 PM on May. 30, 2010

• I do some sewing and would love to do more just have a hard time of finding the time. Out local Walmart just started a big remodel and took out the fabric section which sucks because the closest fabric store is 10 miles away, which isn't that far but walmart is 2 miles if that.
    niehoff9

Answer by niehoff9 at 11:54 AM on May. 31, 2010

• No sewing is not fading out. The reason Wal-Mart took the fabric departments out of their stores are the same reasons the other big stores did too. Not enough mark up. If you sell one t.v. you make a huge profit one yard of fabric not so much.
    In all honesty it is not that good for the local teachers and such. For the typical person who sews for clothing and quilting it is not such a huge loss. Go to a local quilt shop or Jo-Ann's. Keep on sewing if you love it! Don't worry so much about the end of a craft it is not going any where soon.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 10:22 AM on Jun. 2, 2010