Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

does anyone know if you can get physically sick from -

bedbugs? Like a stomachache? Obviously we are trying to take care of this situation, our neighbors had them and they have migrated over to us. I am MORTIFIED! FREAKING OUT! every little thing about this is driving me insane. This has been an on going problem, if we have to get rid of all our stuff is it up to the landlord to replace everything? considering we moved in bug free?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 8:40 PM on May. 30, 2010 in Just for Fun

Answers (7)
  • I doubt it would be the landlord's responsibility.

    Answer by laciD at 8:44 PM on May. 30, 2010

  • I would think they could transfer dieases they feed off blood, like little tiny biohazards.

    Answer by BlooBird at 8:44 PM on May. 30, 2010

  • Bedbugs don't just "show up" they come as the result of other dirt, germs, mold, etc. If you recently moved, and you have wall to wall carpeting, it's possible they were in the carpet, and have since transferred to your things.

    Your landlord will not be responsible for replacing those things that you have to get rid of. I know there is such a thing as Renter's Insurance policies which protect against fire, water damage, and theft. I'm not sure if coverage can be extended to "infestations" of some sort or another. If you were to take out such a policy you could ask the insurance company. But regardless, it wouldn't cover existing conditions or be retroactive.


    Answer by LoriKeet at 8:49 PM on May. 30, 2010

  • The whole building sould be treated. They get in the walls and can move from unit to unti.

    Answer by BlooBird at 8:55 PM on May. 30, 2010

  • A common concern with bed bugs is whether they transmit diseases. Although bed bugs can harbor pathogens in and on their bodies, transmission to humans is considered unlikely. Their medical significance is chiefly limited to the itching and inflammation from their bites.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:12 PM on May. 30, 2010

  • you would need renters insurance to cover loss your landlord has nothing to do with it....just like if you bought $300 worth of food and the fridge breaks...he does not have to replace your food just the fridge...your renters insurance would cover the loss of food.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:46 PM on May. 30, 2010

  • also, you need to get your apartment fumigated. not just sprayed.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 PM on May. 30, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.