my son skipped on his nap, but we had quiet time with music anyway so...

do i just let him skip it all together, he's tired now, dinners in an hour, we feed him at the same time every day, only with solids, i BF on demand still. so should i keep him up til bedtime so he'll sleep all night or let him nap now?
he's 8 mos

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:55 PM on May. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When my kids missed a nap and napped later it was a bad idea. They stayed up til 2 in the morning. When I put them to bed early they wake up 2 hours later and stay up until 2 in the morning. For my kids, it works best to just deal with the fussiness and put them to bed at regular time and make sure they don't miss the nap the next day. All kids are different so what works for one may not work for another. You just have to try one thing and see what happens.
    Anonymous

• I would let him skip just this once, but don't let him go to bed early
    Anonymous

• An over-tired baby sleeps worse than a well-rested one, so keeping him up could backfire--it could make him wake up in the middle of the night or really early in the morning. If it wasn't so long, it might be ok to keep him up, but with dinner being an hour away, and then having to eat and get ready for bed...I'd go ahead and let him nap, personally. Since he skipped his daytime nap, he might even sleep all night if you put him down now. My older one has done that before.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:05 PM on May. 30, 2010