bullying/racism

My 11 year old ds is bussed to a school in a different part of town as per the law. He hates his school although he loved his old school, he says that no one there is nice to him and they call him "white boy" and "cracker ass" and make many derogatory comments based on his skin color. I've brought this up with the school before but nothing has changed and the only way I can pull him is to put him into private school which I cant afford right now. I feel like if the situation was reversed and it was a group of white kids making racial comments towards a child of color there would be suspensions but no one is taking this seriously. I'm afraid he will get hurt, and also I don't want HIM to become a racist if he starts thinking that this is the way that all black people act instead of understanding that it's just a group of middle school bullies. He's only 11 and small for his age. Ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:56 PM on May. 30, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I am going through the same thing with my boys 11 and 8, we moved to ga last year and since then my boys have been harrassed, and I had to remove them from the bus..And they got jumped by 6 boys On our street!......mostly cause my boys are white. We are moving back to FL and getting the hell outta GA cause not even the cops want to help... good luck mama
    jamiebrandon

Answer by jamiebrandon at 9:40 PM on May. 30, 2010

• I would document each incident and continue to bring it up with the school. They can't ignore it forever. The more reports the more they're going to have to get their act together. Does his school have the 'Zero Tolerance' policy? Most schools do and they should not be tolerating bullying of any kind.
    TraceNspace

Answer by TraceNspace at 7:36 AM on May. 31, 2010

• I would take him out of the school. He does not deserve to be treated that way. If the school apparently is irresponsible and will not do anything about it, then I would not want my child to attend that school. If you cannot afford private school, then I would try and send him to another public school. Put down your reasoning for transferring schools, go to a highter up do what it takes but don't allow your son to be treated so unfairly.
    Anonymous

• Where we live there is a " zero tolerance " policy for bullying. Check to see what the policies are in your area. DEFINITELY go over their heads if you do not get results soon. It's a shame that kids have to go through this, and teachers and staff in schools do not protect the kids! It's not cheap, but if you have no other recourse, have you thought about home-schooling? Good luck! Make sure to document, as said above, and keep on them until you get results!
    iceeboxers

Answer by iceeboxers at 1:25 PM on Jun. 23, 2010