natural sedatives during pregnancy

i've done some reading online and basically it says no one really knows (e.g. melatonin, valerian). i think it's ironic that we are warned against these natural things but tylenol which can easily damage liver, and benadryl - basically synthetic hormone stimulation - are considered safe.

would like to hear from anyone that actually used natural sedatives while pregnant and if you experienced any problems, as well as people who regularly used tylenol and/or benadryl.

figaro8895

Asked by figaro8895 at 9:00 PM on May. 30, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Tylenol does nothing for pain for me, so I have to take something much worse- Ibuprofen. ick! (not while pregnant), and benadryl has saved my life a couple of times when I didn't have an epi pen. So... not while pregnant, and it compromises milk supply, so didn't take it when BF either.
    Kava Kava, Valerian (which is now in 'sleepy time plus', btw), Catnip, Linden... Have taken them all while pregnant, AND nursing- no ill affects on baby while nursing, and it actually helped to lower by BP after a traumatic incident while I was pregnant the last time- ending the distress that my baby was in.
    Doctors were prepared to issue me narcotics for migraine pain- with more KNOWN SIDE AFFECTS than it was worth. I used a cocktail of Kava Kava, Catnip, Linden, and Caffeine (yes, I said caffeine) to ease the tension, which didn't fix the other affects, but helped me cope- BLESS MOTHER NATURE!!! I'll use her product ANY day!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:37 PM on May. 30, 2010

• I used sleepy time tea when I was pregnant. Not sleepy time plus.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 11:59 PM on May. 30, 2010