My baby girl is 3 weeks old and is crying randomly in her sleep for very short periods of time. It's not just a bit of fussiness but she is screaming intensely. What could be wrong?

KC0509

Asked by KC0509 at 9:05 PM on May. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She might have gas try using gas drops
    Anonymous

• she's crying in her sleep? i
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 9:13 PM on May. 30, 2010

• Yes Precious. She screams for 30 seconds to 2 minutes and when she stops she is still asleep.
    KC0509

Answer by KC0509 at 9:32 PM on May. 30, 2010

• colic?

Anonymous

• My guess would be gas and/or upset tummy. I would try the gas drops and if you are nursing you might want to cut dairy out and see if that helps .
    Anonymous

• I agree with anon:31. It might be the dairy in your/her diet. My youngest would scream randomly while asleep - either in his bassinet or in the carrier. It got better once I got rid of all dairy in my diet. He also did have severe reflux, which got better with prevacid solutabs.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 7:56 PM on May. 31, 2010

• colic or maybe growth spirts or maybe a combination of both !
    ryansmommy07

Answer by ryansmommy07 at 9:42 PM on May. 31, 2010

• this will sound crazy, but how did you have her? My oldest would cry for no reason for the first month. His ped said he was tramatized from when he was born.
    lovingwifey

Answer by lovingwifey at 10:09 PM on May. 31, 2010

• I think it's a good idea to try the gas drops a little bit before putting your baby to sleep.

But I think lovingwifey has a point. I think babies can remember certain things. Your baby may be having nightmares if it's only when sleeping. Gas or reflux usually causes crankiness while awake, for no apparent reason. Colic is constant crying for hours everyday. Sounds like your baby is dreaming and crying while dreaming points to nightmares. Be sure to comfort her when she does do it. That may help relieve them after awhile.
    Nykkii

Answer by Nykkii at 10:45 PM on May. 31, 2010

• i agree with lovingwifey and Nykkii --she may be reliving the birth. Just comfort her -she'll outgrow it
    babipeanut

Answer by babipeanut at 1:59 AM on Jun. 1, 2010