How long until your period went back to normal?

I had my 2nd baby 2 months ago. I had my 1st period last month and usually I'm like clockwork and have my period every 4 weeks. Nothing changed after my 1st baby. Now, it's a week after I was supposed to start. Is it normal for your period to be abnormal after having a baby? I've only had sex once with a condom so I'm pretty sure I'm not pregnant.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:16 PM on May. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I breastfed for 15 months and it didn't go back to normal until I stopped doing it exclusively. So around a year after I had my baby.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 9:18 PM on May. 30, 2010

• HaHa... I never got a period between babies... My oldest was 5mos old when I got pregnant with my next son! lol... And after he was born, I just bleed for 8 weeks straight and went right back to normal.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:21 PM on May. 30, 2010

• I'm normally irregular, so...normal for me...pretty much immediately after having my first. After my second, I've had a period just about every month (I think I might've skipped one in the first few months) from 5 weeks post-partum until now at 13 months. That's abnormal for me. But it's normal to take a while to get back to "normal" after having a baby, especially if you're nursing. If you're worried, then take a test, but it's probably just leftover hormones.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:24 PM on May. 30, 2010

• r u on any type of contraceptions? because they change ur cycles.......
    SabrinaMBowen: did u get pregnant before u ever had a period again after ur first baby?
    fay101

Answer by fay101 at 9:40 PM on May. 30, 2010

• No. I'm not on birth control yet. And I'm not breastfeeding either.
    Anonymous

• it can take a few months, even if you aren't on birth control or breastfeeding.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 10:47 PM on May. 30, 2010

• Bleeding for the first 56 days after birth is not to be considered a period, even if it stopped for a while and came back. If you are nursing, it is the frequency of the letdown reflex that determines whether or not you are suppressing the ovulation and menstruation cycle.
    MyGiftsFromGod

Answer by MyGiftsFromGod at 2:30 AM on May. 31, 2010

• my boy is 22 months and my cycle is finally back to normal the past 2 months.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 4:39 PM on May. 31, 2010

• It took over a year for my cycles to return to normal. Now I'm back on my "lovely" 21 day cycle. Yay...
    ohbladi

Answer by ohbladi at 4:54 PM on May. 31, 2010