How often does your newborn wake up to eat in the middle of the night?

My almost 7 week old wakes up every three hrs and was just wondering when others wake up at that age. And if my baby goes right back to sleep after eating does that mean shes already on our schedual?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:40 PM on May. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• That's how my son was, around 10 weeks I slowly started pushing the feedings back 10 min and increasing each night by 5 min. By 12 weeks my son was sleeping through the night! But if it's predictable, you can probably start training baby to sleep all night!
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 9:56 PM on May. 30, 2010

• Also, it depends if you bf or ff.
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 9:57 PM on May. 30, 2010

• My daughter woke up every 3-4 hours. At close to 2 months, she starting sleeping through the night, hooray! She has her last feeding about 10, and wakes up at 5-6 for her feeding and is up. :] She's 3 months now.
    ManicMomma02

Answer by ManicMomma02 at 10:28 PM on May. 30, 2010

• Ps, my son sleeps from 7pm-7/8 am! :)
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 10:34 PM on May. 30, 2010

• That's perfectly normal. Some of my children have awakened less frequently than that, and others have awakened more frequently.
    MyGiftsFromGod

Answer by MyGiftsFromGod at 2:32 AM on May. 31, 2010

• Consider yourself VERY lucky. And go throw salt over your shoulder. Publishing a schedule is an engraved invitaation for baby to change it.

Mine never SLEPT at night...awake was his default setting!

Answer by gdiamante at 4:58 AM on May. 31, 2010

• My 2 week old only wakes up once for a night feeding. It's been 3 am. He'll sleep from 8 or 9 to 3, and then go back to sleep from 3:45 to about 7 or 8 am. I consider myself lucky so far.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 1:53 PM on May. 31, 2010

• 2-4 hours between feedings is normal for newborns, even overnight. It is wonderful that she is going back to sleep after feedings, so you're not missing much sleep and it shows she really is just waking up because she is hungry.

I disagree with posters who are trying to tell you to "train" her to sleep all night already. She is waking up because she is hungry and needs to eat. My son started sleeping at 6 hour stretches on his own around 3 months, although we had some regression whenever he teethed or hit a growth spurt. By the time he was a year old he was sleeping 12 hours straight every night and I never had to "train" him by making him wait for feedings when he woke up hungry.
    ohbladi

Answer by ohbladi at 5:07 PM on May. 31, 2010