my cat has been gone for 3 days now...at what point to I pass out fliers and call the pound?

last summer she left for 5 days and came back on her own....it took me along time to trust her again...well this spring she was good about just laying in the yard or under the nieghbors car. Well now she is gone and for 3 days...I don't know if I should worry...I hate to make a bunch of posters and have her come back that day...I just don't know what to do and she does not have tags..the animal shelter is 30 miles away so I really have to wonder if she would be there..
what would you do? if your cat ran off....could maybe someone just have taken her into their house? she is a very pretty cat

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:59 PM on May. 30, 2010 in Pets

• Ours goes in and out all the time. We live right by town but in a rural area. (If we lived in a city or maybe even town I would be more concerned) Ours at max stays out 3 days at a time. He I assume gets sidetracked catching mice around here. Much more than that I would get a little more concerned but you know your cat (you know what is beyond typical behavior). Also as stated above I would suggest getting tags with your phone # on them and address and cats name. They don't cost very much especially when you compare it to paying "hawk" to get them out of the shelter. Usually is a person picks them up with tags they will call you b4 the shelter so it saves you the money. Also the cat should be wearing its rabies tags anyhow or you could get in trouble.My only concern with collars is that they can get caught when they go roaming- just a small concern but a worthy one. Yet I still think it is better to have them sporting tags. GL
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 1:29 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• I report pets missing the day they come up missing. Do it Tues.
    Anonymous

• same here.......days ago you should have posted flyers and called animal control! Geesh
    Anonymous

• Do it now. Why wait? Then take her to the vet to get chipped and make her up a tag with her name & number on it.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 10:12 PM on May. 30, 2010

• I would call everyday. Our shelter charges per day.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 10:18 PM on May. 30, 2010

• You can look at missing pets on-line in our county that have been rescued. Who cares if kitty comes home the minute you post 3000 fliers, the important thing is to get kitty home. Good luck
    Anonymous

• My Bud ran out the door and I was out looking for him within minutes. I had posters made within hours. Visited the pound the very next day with a picture of him and our phone number in case they picked him up. He was gone for a month. I never stopped looking.

Let me tell ya, his vet appointment got moved up to like the next week. He hasn't tried to run out since.

Good luck on find your kitty.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 2:14 AM on May. 31, 2010

• After twelve hours you should have posted fliers. Call the pound and get out looking for her.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 10:38 AM on May. 31, 2010

• Do it now..alot of shelters put strays to sleep if they are not chipped or tagged
    judith106

Answer by judith106 at 11:43 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• She probably ended up owl food or road kill. Why have a pet that you alllow to have free roam outside? Don't mourn her. She was REALLY a pet. She was a cat you just fed and took in once in awhile.
    Anonymous