Can I break my apartment lease because of roach infestation?

I can't take it anymore! I'm clean. They've had the place sprayed. But there are still roaches everywhere and I can't stand it :(

rain408

Asked by rain408 at 10:07 PM on May. 30, 2010 in Home & Garden

• i would say to stay on them about it. if the roaches are still there, the landlord has the responsibility to get rid of them. i would recommend that you really read your lease agreement and see what it says about upkeep and such.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 10:09 PM on May. 30, 2010

• I've broken several leases over it. I won't stay were there are roaches. Check with the Tenant Landlord Act for your state and make sure but I"m sure most states will allow you to leave over infestation.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:09 PM on May. 30, 2010

• Take pics as well, when you see a roach, click the roach just in case this ends up in court
    Anonymous

• check your lease & call them to let them know it's not helping... even buy some special traps and sprays yourself...
    LoveKillsSlowly

Answer by LoveKillsSlowly at 10:12 PM on May. 30, 2010

• Yeah, as long as you've tried to let them take care of it.....they can't force you to live where there are roaches.
    Anonymous

• Yes you can because it is a health hazard, those insects are filthy. If your landlord refuse to treat them and get rid of them, you have the right by law to break your lease. Thank Goodness I only have a cricket here and there in my basement, but I rather deal with those than roaches, good luck.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 10:13 PM on May. 30, 2010

• YES!!
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 10:15 PM on May. 30, 2010

• See the problem is not you, no matter how much you clean those nasty things will mate and populate more. It is the people around you, they may be living nasty, and you have to suffer. This is what I did when I had this problem over 15 years ago. I went out and bought some bleach, and I cleaned my entire house, they hate the smell, and it burns their skin, it is an old remedy my mom told me about and it worked. They were on the back of my couch mating it was discusting, they were even in my smoke detectors. Very annoying little critters, good luck. I'm in a house now, and I have to say I haven't seen not one roach yet, just crickets and they can be annoying too at night when they're in the basement chirping.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 10:18 PM on May. 30, 2010

• yes, just make sure you follow the rules about notification and allowing them to attempt to correct the problem. this is all spelled out in your lease and in the landlord-tenant portion of the property code.

many years ago i lived in a building infested with roaches - it was so nasty. i complained to the landlord and they had the nerve to tell me i was the only one who complained - but i lived on the third floor and there were roaches crawling in the back parking lot in broad daylight so...

when you move - bomb everything, pack it up, spray with roach spray as you pack, and then bomb your new place immediately. i found that roaches like not only moisture but paper...
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 10:27 PM on May. 30, 2010

• I wouldn't unless you plan on paying to breaking your lease. We broke ours without paying and we're being sued for $3,500. Our apartment had mold, shortage in the elecrticty, and major flooding everytime it rained hard. My oldest his respitory problems is the main reason we moved, plus it was just a big sh*t hole.
    Anonymous