what tempature do you take you little ones to the hospital

at what temature do you take you little ones to the hospital. my doctor told me not to cause they cant do much for my daughter to just wait and take her to his office but she has a temp of 104.9 the other night and i almost took her even thow he sayed it was a waist of time

troubledkat911

Asked by troubledkat911 at 10:36 PM on May. 30, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• as soon as she feels really sick and really hot!
    Anonymous

• so are you going to wait for answers from others on here, then take her to the docs? I dont understand why people do this. My god, your kids could be dying and you ask for advice from cafemom before you do anything. SMH!
    Anonymous

• And another thing 104???????????? are you freaking serious, and your not at the ER, what is wrong with you???????
    Anonymous

• at 104. u daughter could have a grand mali seziure. with my son if he has a fever he is at about 103 when i take him in. he gets funny when he is sick. like cant walk or talk. and when he talks u cant understand it. dd because of her sleep apnea i take her in at 101. my mil is a peds nurse and she told me once when my son was 104 oh its nothing take him home and put him to bed. instead i took him to the er and got yelled at because my mil said no meds. he had strep thoart which he gets like 6 times a yr since he was 1. if ur daughter gets a fever that high take her in just to be safe
    knagsmom

Answer by knagsmom at 10:42 PM on May. 30, 2010

• Awhile ago my neice, age 8, had some kind of virus. She'd have a temp of 104 every day for almost a month. My sis brought her daughter to the ER and to her peds office and there really isn't much you can do except give her fever reducers and if it gets real bad give her a cold bath. Temps are also different for children than they are for adults, while most adults with a 104 temp would be risking brain damage it isn't as dangerous for a child. My neice's doctor said not to panic until her temp gets up to 107 which it never did.
    Anonymous

• my sons almost, my dr said she doesnt even treat her kids temps until they are 101. it really is a waste of time to take them to the er because they are just going to give them motrin and tylenol.. sorry to say but thats all you can do unles your little one has a bacterial infection. if it continues def take them to the doctors but until then..alternate tylenol and motrin. you can give them both at the same time because they work differently and that way you will be giving them something ever few hours to keep the fever down. the reason you dont treat it any other way is because a fever is our bodies way of fighting off the infection, thats why they say that you need to sweat it out. just keep an eye on the little one and if tylenol and motrin dont work to reduce the fever def. take them to the er. they might be dehydrated.
    Anonymous

• Of course it also depend on what a normal temp for your child is. My temp runs low, between 95.8 and 96.3 is normal for me. My youngest also runs a bit low so a fever temp is different for us than the average numbers.
    Anonymous

• im not a bad mom im doing what my doctor told me to do tyleol and motron every 4 hours and a cold pack on her forehead and drinks drinks drinks and she normal geta fever of 103 and a little higher with everything and now its tonsilitus again and again shes on the 3rd antibiotic an dshe goes to her ped last week and he know of the fever and said i did the right thing so back off i was just wondering
    troubledkat911

Answer by troubledkat911 at 10:52 PM on May. 30, 2010

• Some of the things you can do to reduce fever is give a cool bath, lukewarm, not cold. Also you can give her a popcicle or something else cold to eat or drink. Put cool wet washcloths on her forehead, neck, armpits and or groin. Change them often so they remain cool. Make sure she is wearing as little as possible, underwear is what my kids wear. If she tells you she is cold and wants a blanket, only giver her a sheet because it is lighter and will not continue to trap heat like a blanket.
    You can rotate motrin and tylenol every three hours. So give the tylenal first and then three hours later give the motrin, and keep rotating until the fever comes down.
    Good luck! You can pm me if you like. I just went through a week of high fevers with my 2 year old and it was scary!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:56 PM on May. 30, 2010

• thanks someone that understands
    troubledkat911

Answer by troubledkat911 at 11:22 PM on May. 30, 2010