OMG My 4 year old is driving me insane...any suggestions on how to get her to go to sleep?

My 4 year old is usually a very well behaved child, except when it comes to going to bed. She'll talk back and laugh at me when I tell her she'll be punished. I've even spanked her and she just laughs and says it tickles. I understand she's a night person like me, even as a child I could never sleep easily at night and I wouldn't mind so much if she would lay still in her bed but she gets up and plays - right now I can hear her playing her piano, and I don't have the energy to fight with her tonight. I'm sick and asthmatic so I can't breathe and can barely move and I also have a 5 year old daughter sleeping on the bottom bunk in their room though luckily that girl can sleep through just about anything! She hasn't always been like this, she used to go to sleep very well - or I should say she at least used to lay in bed quietly until she fell asleep. It's been over a month now of fighting every single night!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:38 PM on May. 30, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• one thing u can try doing is getting off the computer and spend time with her. if you have time to sit on the computer and explain whats going on then you have time to give her a little extra attention before she turns in for the night...!! think about it
    Anonymous

• I would sit at her doorway with your back to the door, tell her she is to be quiet, remove all toys, etc. Until she learns she has to go to sleep when it's bedtime. I don't know if you plan on sending her to school when the time comes, but if so she's going to need her sleep. Maybe also try making sure she gets plenty of exercise during the day so she's ready to relax at night. GL
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:43 PM on May. 30, 2010

wow....that's a little too harsh don't you think?

You need to be consistent and keep telling her to go back to bed. Everytime she gets up, you have to return her. You may also try a glass of milk before bed and even see if the pediatrician has any suggestions for you. It could be something she's eating.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 10:53 PM on May. 30, 2010

• Yes that makes sense...spending more time with her...why should it bother me that she laughs at me and talks back and throws things and gets even more amped up when I'm in the room...why didn't I think of that before? So I should just duck behind the furniture until she runs out of ammo and stand there until she passes out in the middle of the floor...and I guess it makes sense to let her hit me too, right?
    Anonymous

• In case you didn't get that I was being sarcastic in my last reply - which was intended for the first answerer - I just don't understand how some people think children should receive more attention for being bad? Like I said my daughter is very well behaved any other time of the day and she's a mommy's girl so she certainly isn't lacking in attention from me.
    Anonymous

• "one thing u can try doing is getting off the computer and spend time with her. if you have time to sit on the computer and explain whats going on then you have time to give her a little extra attention before she turns in for the night...!! think about it "

Yes, because the 10 minutes she took to type this question up really hindered the relationship between her and her daughter.

My advice is to tell her that she can play with her toys in the morning, but at night, she needs to be in bed. If she ignores you, take the toys away for a period of time (up to you how long).
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 9:55 AM on May. 31, 2010

• I have been going through something very similar with my daughter. I can put her to bed at 8, and she will be out of bed every few minutes for about an hour before she falls asleep. What we discovered is that she doesn't really need a nap anymore. We switched to just having quiet time each day, and bedtime has gotten much easier. She may get out of bed once, but that's it.
    Is she still taking a nap? Maybe trying doing away with it, or at least shortening it a bit. Maybe that would help.
    lovebugs_mom

Answer by lovebugs_mom at 10:37 AM on May. 31, 2010

• Does she still nap during the day? If so, cut them out. My DD is 3 and hasn't napped since she was about 14 months old. She's out like a light by 7 pm and sleeps solid through the night until about 7:30 am. Good luck!
    KendallsMommee

Answer by KendallsMommee at 10:35 PM on May. 31, 2010